-   -   gnome-desktop comps group (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-desktop/417673-gnome-desktop-comps-group.html)

"pbrobinson@gmail.com" 08-24-2010 07:47 PM

gnome-desktop comps group

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 8:14 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 19:41 +0100, pbrobinson@gmail.com wrote:
>

>> So the comps group will be split as well? I think this should remain
>> split even in F-15 as there's a lot of scenarios where you might want
>> one or the other.
>
> I don't think we want to have gnome2 and gnome3 as separate comps
> groups, going forward. For F14, I am going to drop the gnome3 additions
> from comps, as far as possible. For F15, we will have a better gnome3
> story, hopefully.

So how will that work for non intel/nvidia/ati GPUs as well as
VMs/VDI/dumb terminals/vnc and other associated technologies? Hell
even my relatively decent Dell laptop with a nvidia card doesn't run
gnome shell with any reasonable speed (if you count clicking on
something and it responding 17 seconds (yes I timed it) later
workable).

Peter

Martin Sourada 08-24-2010 07:51 PM

gnome-desktop comps group

On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 20:47 +0100, pbrobinson@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 8:14 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 19:41 +0100, pbrobinson@gmail.com wrote:
> >

> >> So the comps group will be split as well? I think this should remain
> >> split even in F-15 as there's a lot of scenarios where you might want
> >> one or the other.
> >
> > I don't think we want to have gnome2 and gnome3 as separate comps
> > groups, going forward. For F14, I am going to drop the gnome3 additions
> > from comps, as far as possible. For F15, we will have a better gnome3
> > story, hopefully.
>
> So how will that work for non intel/nvidia/ati GPUs as well as
> VMs/VDI/dumb terminals/vnc and other associated technologies? Hell
> even my relatively decent Dell laptop with a nvidia card doesn't run
> gnome shell with any reasonable speed (if you count clicking on
> something and it responding 17 seconds (yes I timed it) later
> workable).

AFAIK, you can use "old school gnome" with gnome 3 as well. The
gnome-panel, metacity etc. are not going to be obsoleted...

Martin

"pbrobinson@gmail.com" 08-24-2010 08:07 PM

gnome-desktop comps group

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 8:51 PM, Martin Sourada
<martin.sourada@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 20:47 +0100, pbrobinson@gmail.com wrote:

>> > I don't think we want to have gnome2 and gnome3 as separate comps
>> > groups, going forward. For F14, I am going to drop the gnome3 additions
>> > from comps, as far as possible. For F15, we will have a better gnome3
>> > story, hopefully.
>>
>> So how will that work for non intel/nvidia/ati GPUs as well as
>> VMs/VDI/dumb terminals/vnc and other associated technologies? Hell
>> even my relatively decent Dell laptop with a nvidia card doesn't run
>> gnome shell with any reasonable speed (if you count clicking on
>> something and it responding 17 seconds (yes I timed it) later
>> workable).
>>
> AFAIK, you can use "old school gnome" with gnome 3 as well. The
> gnome-panel, metacity etc. are not going to be obsoleted...

That's what I meant by "gnome-2" and I realise that.

Peter