Old 08-24-2010, 06:23 PM
"pbrobinson@gmail.com"

Default gnome-desktop comps group

Hi All,

Is there a reason that the gnome-desktop group contains both gnome-2
and gnome-3 desktops? Is it possible to split them out. Its not hard
to add both groups into a livecd kickstart file but it makes it much
harder to install one or the other. This becomes a problem on the OLPC
where we have between 1 and 4 Gb of storage and neither hardware
release (nor the upcoming ARM based devices I suspect) will run gnome
3. I tried to install a plain "gnome desktop" from a F-14 alpha RC
onto my eeePC 901 which has a 4 Gb primary SSD and in F-13 had
Sugar/gnome and moblin on it with about 800Mb free and with F-14 I
can't even install the standard gnome desktop as the installer says
there's not enough space.

Can we do a gnome-desktop for the current gnome2 desktop and a
gnome-desktop3 group for the gtk3/gnome3 components as it seems that
gnome2 is something that will be needed or used by a number of groups
for some time to come.

Peter

Old 08-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Adam Williamson

On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 19:23 +0100, pbrobinson@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is there a reason that the gnome-desktop group contains both gnome-2
> and gnome-3 desktops? Is it possible to split them out. Its not hard
> to add both groups into a livecd kickstart file but it makes it much
> harder to install one or the other. This becomes a problem on the OLPC
> where we have between 1 and 4 Gb of storage and neither hardware
> release (nor the upcoming ARM based devices I suspect) will run gnome
> 3. I tried to install a plain "gnome desktop" from a F-14 alpha RC
> onto my eeePC 901 which has a 4 Gb primary SSD and in F-13 had
> Sugar/gnome and moblin on it with about 800Mb free and with F-14 I
> can't even install the standard gnome desktop as the installer says
> there's not enough space.
>
> Can we do a gnome-desktop for the current gnome2 desktop and a
> gnome-desktop3 group for the gtk3/gnome3 components as it seems that
> gnome2 is something that will be needed or used by a number of groups
> for some time to come.

Desktop team is in the middle of backing out all the GNOME 3 stuff for
F14, it's been delayed to F15.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 08-24-2010, 06:41 PM
"pbrobinson@gmail.com"

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 7:35 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 19:23 +0100, pbrobinson@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Is there a reason that the gnome-desktop group contains both gnome-2
>> and gnome-3 desktops? Is it possible to split them out. Its not hard
>> to add both groups into a livecd kickstart file but it makes it much
>> harder to install one or the other. This becomes a problem on the OLPC
>> where we have between 1 and 4 Gb of storage and neither hardware
>> release (nor the upcoming ARM based devices I suspect) will run gnome
>> 3. I tried to install a plain "gnome desktop" from a F-14 alpha RC
>> onto my eeePC 901 which has a 4 Gb primary SSD and in F-13 had
>> Sugar/gnome and moblin on it with about 800Mb free and with F-14 I
>> can't even install the standard gnome desktop as the installer says
>> there's not enough space.
>>
>> Can we do a gnome-desktop for the current gnome2 desktop and a
>> gnome-desktop3 group for the gtk3/gnome3 components as it seems that
>> gnome2 is something that will be needed or used by a number of groups
>> for some time to come.
>
> Desktop team is in the middle of backing out all the GNOME 3 stuff for
> F14, it's been delayed to F15.

So the comps group will be split as well? I think this should remain
split even in F-15 as there's a lot of scenarios where you might want
one or the other.

Peter

Old 08-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 19:41 +0100, pbrobinson@gmail.com wrote:

> So the comps group will be split as well? I think this should remain
> split even in F-15 as there's a lot of scenarios where you might want
> one or the other.

I don't think we want to have gnome2 and gnome3 as separate comps
groups, going forward. For F14, I am going to drop the gnome3 additions
from comps, as far as possible. For F15, we will have a better gnome3
story, hopefully.