Old 08-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Martin Sourada

Default Speed up user login into desktop.

On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 12:24 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On 08/23/10 12:20, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Urks, LVM snapshots!
> >
> > That said, I am pretty sure you have the consensus of the desktop group
> > now, as nobody defended LVM.
>
> I agree that on laptops LVM is not all that useful. But on desktops it is as
> it allows easy resizing and reallocation.
Well, I've done precisely this on my laptop... But since I already have
it created, I don't care about the defaults myself, and for people who
leave the default partitioning untouched, having LVM is probably not
needed...

> What I personally want to see our default auto-partitioning do is to create a
> separate '/' from /home, such that reinstallations don't wipe out /home.

+1. But IIRC, last time this was discussed it got stuck up on deciding
how much space to use for / and how much for /home...

Martin

Old 08-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Bill Nottingham

Behdad Esfahbod (behdad@behdad.org) said:
> On 08/23/10 12:20, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Urks, LVM snapshots!
> >
> > That said, I am pretty sure you have the consensus of the desktop group
> > now, as nobody defended LVM.
>
> I agree that on laptops LVM is not all that useful. But on desktops it is as
> it allows easy resizing and reallocation.
>
> What I personally want to see our default auto-partitioning do is to create a
> separate '/' from /home, such that reinstallations don't wipe out /home.

def setDefaultPartitioning(self, storage, platform):
autorequests = [PartSpec(mountpoint="/", fstype=storage.defaultFSType,
size=1024, maxSize=50*1024, grow=True,
asVol=True),
PartSpec(mountpoint="/home",fstype=storage.defaultFSType,
size=100, grow=True, asVol=True, requiredSpace=50*1024)]

This was changed in F-13.

Bill

Old 08-23-2010, 05:53 PM
Colin Walters

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@behdad.org> wrote:

> What I personally want to see our default auto-partitioning do is to create a
> separate '/' from /home, such that reinstallations don't wipe out /home.

Sadly, it does now...

However, one doesn't need to take this drastic step, it'd have been
far simpler for the installer to just rm -rf all directories except
/home.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Jesse Keating

Old 08-23-2010, 06:17 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:24:23PM -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On 08/23/10 12:20, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Urks, LVM snapshots!
> >
> > That said, I am pretty sure you have the consensus of the desktop group
> > now, as nobody defended LVM.
>
> I agree that on laptops LVM is not all that useful. But on desktops it is as
> it allows easy resizing and reallocation.
>
> What I personally want to see our default auto-partitioning do is to create a
> separate '/' from /home, such that reinstallations don't wipe out /home.

This actually happens now on larger disks (bigger than 50 GB, IIRC),
as of Fedora 13.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Behdad Esfahbod

On 08/23/10 14:17, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:24:23PM -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>> On 08/23/10 12:20, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>>> Urks, LVM snapshots!
>>>
>>> That said, I am pretty sure you have the consensus of the desktop group
>>> now, as nobody defended LVM.
>>
>> I agree that on laptops LVM is not all that useful. But on desktops it is as
>> it allows easy resizing and reallocation.
>>
>> What I personally want to see our default auto-partitioning do is to create a
>> separate '/' from /home, such that reinstallations don't wipe out /home.
>
> This actually happens now on larger disks (bigger than 50 GB, IIRC),
> as of Fedora 13.

Ah, good to know. Thanks.

behdad