Old 08-17-2010, 04:27 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

Default Help with talking points

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 04:15:48PM +0200, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 12:27 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 00:18 +0200, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> >> More user visible things to check about current status: multi touch,
> >
> > I don't think this is going to be user visible until GTK+ / Qt get
> > support, and that's not likely for F14 (especially since we're not
> > taking GTK+ 3).
>
> So it seems we are being beaten to "first" here:
> http://lwn.net/Articles/400455/

First to rush in with a not-upstream set of extensions? Perhaps.
>From reading the article, looks to me like Peter Hutterer &co. are
working on an upstream implementation that's more sustainable.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Adam Jackson

On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 12:27 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 04:15:48PM +0200, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't think this is going to be user visible until GTK+ / Qt get
> > > support, and that's not likely for F14 (especially since we're not
> > > taking GTK+ 3).
> >
> > So it seems we are being beaten to "first" here:
> > http://lwn.net/Articles/400455/
>
> First to rush in with a not-upstream set of extensions? Perhaps.
> >From reading the article, looks to me like Peter Hutterer &co. are
> working on an upstream implementation that's more sustainable.

Careful there. We shipped DRI2 before it was really baked upstream.

- ajax

Old 08-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Adam Williamson

On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 13:50 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 12:27 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> > > So it seems we are being beaten to "first" here:
> > > http://lwn.net/Articles/400455/
> >
> > First to rush in with a not-upstream set of extensions? Perhaps.
> > >From reading the article, looks to me like Peter Hutterer &co. are
> > working on an upstream implementation that's more sustainable.
>
> Careful there. We shipped DRI2 before it was really baked upstream.

'Before it was baked upstream' is rather different from 'a completely
different and incompatible implementation from the one upstream is
already working on. Hosted in launchpad.' though.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 08-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Gianluca Sforna

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> First to rush in with a not-upstream set of extensions? *Perhaps.
> >From reading the article, looks to me like Peter Hutterer &co. are
> working on an upstream implementation that's more sustainable.

I completely see your point and that's one reason why I'm sticking around here.
The only problem is that we have an hard time (or at least, that's my
experience trying to spread the word about Fedora) telling people we
actually do many of the pieces everyone then find in their favourite
distro. And that's true even when we ship stuff 6 months or more
before anyone else. Now that they have this feature in 10.10 I'm
afraid any better implementation will be seen as a refinement of
their breakthrough work.

Of course I'll do my part to spread the love... you know, tribe loses,
love wins.

Cheers

G.

--
Gianluca Sforna

http://morefedora.blogspot.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gianlucasforna

Old 08-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Adam Williamson

> On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 13:50 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:

> > > First to rush in with a not-upstream set of extensions? Perhaps.
> > > working on an upstream implementation that's more sustainable.
> >
> > Careful there. We shipped DRI2 before it was really baked upstream.
>
> 'Before it was baked upstream' is rather different from 'a completely
> different and incompatible implementation from the one upstream is
> already working on. Hosted in launchpad.' though.

Seems like I spoke too soon (me? never!) - now I look at xorg-devel
archives, they seem to be handling this one rather decently. Ain't that
nice.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey