-   -   gnome-python2-desktop needs various porting to GNOME / GTK+ 3 (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-desktop/404926-gnome-python2-desktop-needs-various-porting-gnome-gtk-3-a.html)

Rahul Sundaram 07-27-2010 09:39 PM

On 07/28/2010 02:03 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> True, I guess we just wait for the tipping point where most things are
> ported to gtk3 and then drop stuff that's still gtk2 instead?

It would have been nice to use a separate tag for the gtk3 transition
rather than messing up Rawhide. We should try to keep Rawhide usable at
all times. Python 2.7 is being done the right way.

Rahul

"pbrobinson@gmail.com" 07-27-2010 11:22 PM

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 9:33 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 16:27 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> Adam Williamson (awilliam@redhat.com) said:
>> > For now I'm going to send David a build with the Brasero and Evince
>> > modules disabled and the gnome-media-profiles support also disabled.
>> > This will break a couple of apps - pybackpack and sugar-read - but
>> > that's presumably preferable to having gnome-python2-desktop broken
>> > entirely (and hence also gnome-applets). Obviously, though, this should
>> > be fixed properly - upstream, of course.
>>
>> I can't see any other solution than dropping those modules permanently -
>> you don't want apps trying to import a gtk3 version of gnome-python2-evince
>> and a gtk2 version of gnome-python2-something-else.
>
> True, I guess we just wait for the tipping point where most things are
> ported to gtk3 and then drop stuff that's still gtk2 instead?

The sugar-read is a massive problem for the Sugar on a Stick spin and
OLPC downstream.

The fact is that the gnome team should have a plan for this as part of
their migration to the whole g*3 project. I believe that alot of the
support in those bindings is plain moving to gobject-intropection auto
generated bindings so maybe it might be worth someone from the
upstream teams that have crossover into the fedora team actually
giving feedback here. The person that comes to mind that might be able
to give direction is Colin Walters as he's intimately involved in the
introspection bindings as its possibly that the bindings that aren't
being updated already have the related bits in place.

Peter

Bastien Nocera 08-02-2010 08:15 AM

gnome-python2-desktop needs various porting to GNOME / GTK+ 3

> Hi, folks. I'm helping dmalcolm with the Python 2.7 rebuild at the
> moment. gnome-python2-desktop is failing to build for reasons which have
> nothing to do with Python 2.7 and everything to do with GTK+ 3 and GNOME
> 3.
>
> It has modules for Brasero and Evince, both of which have now been
> ported to GTK+ 3. Trying to build gnome-python2-desktop with these
> modules enabled fails due to various changes between GTK+2 and GTK+3.
> g-p2-d also has gnome media profiles support: gnome-media-profiles has
> also been made into a new gnome-media-profiles-3.0 version which
> requires GTK+3 according to its pkgconfig file, so I suspect
> gnome-python2-desktop will need adjusting for that too.
>
> For now I'm going to send David a build with the Brasero and Evince
> modules disabled and the gnome-media-profiles support also disabled.
> This will break a couple of apps - pybackpack and sugar-read - but
> that's presumably preferable to having gnome-python2-desktop broken
> entirely (and hence also gnome-applets). Obviously, though, this should
> be fixed properly - upstream, of course.

Consider all those deprecated, and use the new PyGI bindings for them
instead. You might also need to port the rest of the app if you want it
to work...