Old 07-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Adam Williamson

Default gnome-python2-desktop needs various porting to GNOME / GTK+ 3

Hi, folks. I'm helping dmalcolm with the Python 2.7 rebuild at the
moment. gnome-python2-desktop is failing to build for reasons which have
nothing to do with Python 2.7 and everything to do with GTK+ 3 and GNOME
3.

It has modules for Brasero and Evince, both of which have now been
ported to GTK+ 3. Trying to build gnome-python2-desktop with these
modules enabled fails due to various changes between GTK+2 and GTK+3.
g-p2-d also has gnome media profiles support: gnome-media-profiles has
also been made into a new gnome-media-profiles-3.0 version which
requires GTK+3 according to its pkgconfig file, so I suspect
gnome-python2-desktop will need adjusting for that too.

For now I'm going to send David a build with the Brasero and Evince
modules disabled and the gnome-media-profiles support also disabled.
This will break a couple of apps - pybackpack and sugar-read - but
that's presumably preferable to having gnome-python2-desktop broken
entirely (and hence also gnome-applets). Obviously, though, this should
be fixed properly - upstream, of course.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 07-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Bill Nottingham

Adam Williamson (awilliam@redhat.com) said:
> For now I'm going to send David a build with the Brasero and Evince
> modules disabled and the gnome-media-profiles support also disabled.
> This will break a couple of apps - pybackpack and sugar-read - but
> that's presumably preferable to having gnome-python2-desktop broken
> entirely (and hence also gnome-applets). Obviously, though, this should
> be fixed properly - upstream, of course.

I can't see any other solution than dropping those modules permanently -
you don't want apps trying to import a gtk3 version of gnome-python2-evince
and a gtk2 version of gnome-python2-something-else.

Bill

Old 07-27-2010, 08:33 PM
Adam Williamson

> Adam Williamson (awilliam@redhat.com) said:
> > For now I'm going to send David a build with the Brasero and Evince
> > modules disabled and the gnome-media-profiles support also disabled.
> > This will break a couple of apps - pybackpack and sugar-read - but
> > that's presumably preferable to having gnome-python2-desktop broken
> > entirely (and hence also gnome-applets). Obviously, though, this should
> > be fixed properly - upstream, of course.
>
> I can't see any other solution than dropping those modules permanently -
> you don't want apps trying to import a gtk3 version of gnome-python2-evince
> and a gtk2 version of gnome-python2-something-else.

True, I guess we just wait for the tipping point where most things are
ported to gtk3 and then drop stuff that's still gtk2 instead?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey