-   -   The 'ingenious ideas' about YUM (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-desktop/403864-ingenious-ideas-about-yum.html)

Hristo Petkov 07-25-2010 08:25 AM

The 'ingenious ideas' about YUM

Hi,

RE:
> Removing packages in post can break including the livecd-desktop ks in
> other ks (which is a recommend practice) if the other ks needs any of
> the removed packages.

> The yum remove in post should be removed.

I am not sure what exactly 'removing packages in post can break' should mean, but removing 'remove' in YUM is not an idea of first brilliance.

At the beginning when I started using Fedora I really had some problems when removing packages but there is no problem when one installs 'orthogonal' packages (not sharing libraries, dictionaries, inference engines, imported objects, etc.).

Thus for example you can install and uninstall Adobe Reader as much as you like and nothing will happen to the OS.

Regards

Adam Williamson 07-26-2010 01:06 AM

On Sun, 2010-07-25 at 01:25 -0700, Hristo Petkov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> RE:
> > Removing packages in post can break including the livecd-desktop ks
> in
> > other ks (which is a recommend practice) if the other ks needs any
> of
> > the removed packages.
>
> > The yum remove in post should be removed.
>
> I am not sure what exactly 'removing packages in post can break'
> should mean, but removing 'remove' in YUM is not an idea of first
> brilliance.

It's best to learn what something means before you reply to it. :)

'post' is a section of a kickstart file - the type of file used for
building Fedora live CDs. It comes after the main operation of building
the CD is complete. Bruno simply meant that the 'yum remove somepackage'
operation in the 'post' section of the Fedora live kickstart should be
removed, he was not suggesting any change to the yum utility itself.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Bruno Wolff III 07-26-2010 05:34 PM

The 'ingenious ideas' about YUM

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 18:06:27 -0700,
Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:

> 'post' is a section of a kickstart file - the type of file used for
> building Fedora live CDs. It comes after the main operation of building
> the CD is complete. Bruno simply meant that the 'yum remove somepackage'
> operation in the 'post' section of the Fedora live kickstart should be
> removed, he was not suggesting any change to the yum utility itself.

Thanks.

For example if another spin based off the livecd desktop spin actually uses
perl, then removing perl in post would have bad effects.

Though it seems the yum command was failing on the nightly compose builder,
so that command wasn't having any significant effect on those builds in
any case. But perhaps building in a different environment might have caused
it to actually remove packages during the post install phase and that wouldn't
be good in some cases.