Old 07-14-2010, 09:48 AM
"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"

Default What ever happen to current locale in Gnome terminal?

There used to be a setting in Gnome Terminal ( Terminal --> Set
Character Encoding --> Available Encoding --> Current Locale ) what ever
happen to it or should I say why was it removed?

Bug ?

JBG

Old 07-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 09:48 +0000, "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" wrote:
> There used to be a setting in Gnome Terminal ( Terminal --> Set
> Character Encoding --> Available Encoding --> Current Locale ) what ever
> happen to it or should I say why was it removed?
>
> Bug ?

"There used to be" is a little too vague.

Have you used it just yesterday, and now its gone, or do you remember it
from 2002 ? And what version of gnome-terminal are you talking about ?

Old 07-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 12:39 +0000, "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" wrote:
> On 07/14/2010 01:40 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 09:48 +0000, "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" wrote:
> >> There used to be a setting in Gnome Terminal ( Terminal --> Set
> >> Character Encoding --> Available Encoding --> Current Locale ) what ever
> >> happen to it or should I say why was it removed?
> >>
> >> Bug ?
> > "There used to be" is a little too vague.
> >
> > Have you used it just yesterday, and now its gone, or do you remember it
> > from 2002 ? And what version of gnome-terminal are you talking about ?
>
> This happened whenever routine 'terminal-encoding.c' option had been
> commented out of the encoding menu possibilities.
> This was done without any comment in the code of the actual reason why
> this had been done or what replaced it functionality.
>
> <snip>
>
> static const struct {
> const char *charset;
> const char *name;
> } encodings[] = {
> // { "UTF-8", N_("Current Locale") }, <--- !!!!!
> { "ISO-8859-1", N_("Western") },
> { "ISO-8859-2", N_("Central European") },
> { "ISO-8859-3", N_("South European") },

You haven't answered any of my questions, but you are halfway there.
After identifying the offending code, a bit of git blame will tell you
who and why.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Jesse Keating

Old 07-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Jesse Keating

Old 07-15-2010, 09:20 PM
Behdad Esfahbod

I filed a bug about it upstream. Seems like a regression from a refactoring
two years ago. We'll fix it.

behdad