Old 07-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Christoph Wickert

Default Features/PolkitAgentReorg - FedoraProject

What is the status of
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/PolkitAgentReorg ?

If this should become a feature of F14, the wiki page needs to be
updated ASAP so that the feature wrangler can look at it before handing
it over to FESCO.

FWIW the wiki page is contradictory:

> The individual agent implementations will no longer provide autostart
> desktop files. The policy decision which agent to start rests with the
> desktop environment, which can either hardcode the start of the agent
> or install an autostart desktop file.
>

> Benefit to Fedora
>
> Fedora sets an example of cross-desktop cooperation, and Fedora users
> can freely choose between multiple installed desktops

So the agent gets hardcoded somewhere in the desktop environment, but
the users can choose freely? Huh? IMHO the simplest way to select the
agent is to use the session properties because all desktops have a
configuration dialog for this. Therefor we need the autostart files.

Last but not least I'd to say that IMHO this hardly meets the criteria
for a feature.

Nether me nor Jaroslav got any replies to our last mails after I started
a discussion about this back in April, so I just went ahead and built
lxpolkit. Please speak up if something breaks for you.

Regards,
Christoph