Old 05-27-2010, 04:08 PM
Bastien Nocera

Default Out of the box Touchscreen/tablet support.

On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 15:55 +0000, "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" wrote:
> There was one tester that drop by the test list and mentioned that the
> touchscreen on his Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t did not work which raised the
> question what's the current status on out of the box touchscreen/tablet
> support ( single/multi ) in the Kernel/Xorg/Gnome in Fedora?
>
> Given that there are more and more touchscreen/tablets coming of the
> product line and they are getting increased popularity with end user
> perhaps it should be considered a F14 feature trying to get the best out
> of the box touchscreen/tablets experience for the end user?

Hard to to tell without more information. The tablet screen itself
should definitely work as a pointer out-of-the-box if the device is
correctly detected by the kernel and X.

Whether the desktop is doing a good job at handling the device is a
different matter (though GTK3 has XInput2 support, so we should start
seeing things like GIMP being automatically configured).

> Perhaps the project could try to sponsor those that are willing to work
> on it by providing them with tablets?

Find out whether the device is actually supported by the kernel, and
whether it was detected by X (xinput --list).

In any case, I don't like the "didn't work" type questions, because you
know nothing of the expectations, and actual results.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:09 PM
"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"