Old 04-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Hristo Petkov

Default The hardware

Hi,
The OS should provide absolute control on the hardware with full functionality.
This can be used as a competitive advantage in the design and development.

When people buy some hardware they expect to get the most out of it.
If the OS could not manage with this requirement - people start looking for alternatives.

Thus for example I have installed hplip 3.10.2 fc11 and it gives a bug report when shutting down the computer that hp-systray is crashed (whatever this may mean) and I have no idea of how to fix it. I have tried various things without success (to manage with the bug). The printer however is working normally.

Just for the record, the Ubuntu forums are reporting similar problem.
It is amazing that with hplip 3.9.12 the absolutely same hardware with absolutely the same Distro (fc11) from the very same Live CD worked
'without remarks'.

The idea is when a development is done one should be very careful to avoid 'downgrading' things meanwhile.

Regards

Old 04-25-2010, 08:47 PM
"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"

The OS should provide absolute control on the hardware with full
functionality.

This can be used as a competitive advantage in the design and
development.

When people buy some hardware they expect to get the most out of it.

If the OS could not manage with this requirement - people start looking
for alternatives.

It's not the OS Fault but the Hardware Manufactures it's up to them to
either provide the operating system with "drivers" for their own
hardware or at least proper documentation.

*

Thus for example I have installed hplip 3.10.2
fc11 and it gives a bug report when shutting down the computer that
hp-systray is crashed (whatever this may mean) and I have no idea of
how to fix it. I have tried various things without success (to manage
with the bug). The printer however is working normally.

The best thing you can do is to report the bug and provide valuable
feed back when maintainers asks and patiently wait for update that
might fix the bug you encountered.

Now it looks like you have hit bug 543286.

The good news is it got fixed in build 3.10.5.

"*

Tue Mar 23 2010 Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> -
3.10.2-5

- Explicitly destroy tray icon on exit (bug #543286)."

The bad news is the latest build available for Fedora 11 3.10.4 which
needless to say does not contain that fix.* However Fedora 12 and newer
contain the fix for this particular bug. You might want to comment on
the bug mentioned above that this is also happening to Fedora 11 ( It
got reported against Fedora 12 ). And I'm sure Tim will be happy to
assist and back port the fix for Fedora 11. I'm pretty sure he simply
did not know that this problem was occurring on Fedora 11 as well.

Just for the record, the Ubuntu forums are reporting similar problem.

It is amazing that with hplip 3.9.12 the absolutely same hardware with
absolutely the same Distro (fc11) from the very same Live CD worked
'without remarks'.

Well that does not come as a much surprise since I think Ubuntu is
using
the printing utilities ( amongst other things ) developed and more or
less maintained by Red Hat/Fedora contributors....

JBG

Old 04-25-2010, 10:00 PM
William Jon McCann

Hi Hristo,

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Hristo Petkov <vaeood@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> The OS should provide absolute control on the hardware with full functionality.
> This can be used as a competitive advantage in the design and development.
>
> When people buy some hardware they expect to get the most out of it.
> If the OS could not manage with this requirement - people start looking for alternatives.
>
> Thus for example I have installed hplip 3.10.2 fc11 and it gives a bug report when shutting down the computer that hp-systray is crashed (whatever this may mean) and I have no idea of how to fix it. I have tried various things without success (to manage with the bug). The printer however is working normally.
>
> Just for the record, the Ubuntu forums are reporting similar problem.
> It is amazing that with hplip 3.9.12 the absolutely same hardware with absolutely the same Distro (fc11) from the very same Live CD worked 'without remarks'.
>
> The idea is when a development is done one should be very careful to avoid 'downgrading' things meanwhile.

You didn't reply last time but the same questions and advice apply to
this message as well:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/desktop/2010-April/006112.html

Thanks,
Jon