Old 04-12-2010, 03:05 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Default Openoffice.org stub desktop files

Hi,

Among the suggestions from Colin Walters earlier was the idea of install
on demand when the user clicks on the menu entry. How much work is
this? Can we do this for Fedora 13?

Rahul

Old 04-12-2010, 02:37 PM
drago01

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 5:05 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Among the suggestions from Colin Walters earlier was the idea of install
> on demand when the user clicks on the menu entry. *How much work is
> this?

Just need a package with a desktop file that calls
gpk-install-package-name and have oo.org obsolete it so that you don't
end up with two desktop files.

> *Can we do this for Fedora 13?

Not sure I am the right one to decide this, but from a technical POV I
don't see why not (assuming someone does the work and creates the stub
package(s)).

Old 04-12-2010, 02:38 PM
drago01

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 4:37 PM, drago01 <drago01@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 5:05 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Among the suggestions from Colin Walters earlier was the idea of install
>> on demand when the user clicks on the menu entry. *How much work is
>> this?
>
> Just need a package with a desktop file that calls
> gpk-install-package-name and have oo.org obsolete it so that you don't
> end up with two desktop files.

On a second though this would also results into the first yum update
pull in oo.org ... not sure if this is a bad thing though.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:28 AM
charles zeitler

Do what thou wilt
shall be the whole of the Law.

On 4/12/10, drago01 <drago01@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 5:05 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Among the suggestions from Colin Walters earlier was the idea of install
>> on demand when the user clicks on the menu entry. How much work is
>> this?
>
> Just need a package with a desktop file that calls
> gpk-install-package-name and have oo.org obsolete it so that you don't
> end up with two desktop files.

and how would this affect those of us
who don't ( and won't ) have GPK?
--

charles zeitler

Love is the law, love under will.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:20 AM
Matthias Clasen

On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 16:38 +0200, drago01 wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 4:37 PM, drago01 <drago01@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 5:05 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Among the suggestions from Colin Walters earlier was the idea of install
> >> on demand when the user clicks on the menu entry. How much work is
> >> this?
> >
> > Just need a package with a desktop file that calls
> > gpk-install-package-name and have oo.org obsolete it so that you don't
> > end up with two desktop files.
>
> On a second though this would also results into the first yum update
> pull in oo.org ... not sure if this is a bad thing though.

Instead of Obsoletes, you could make it run a script that does

gpk-install-package-name OOo
uninstall self

or you can play tricks with menu files to make these stub entries only
show up if the real ooo is not there yet. E.g, make ooo install a menu
file that kicks out the stubs. Look
at /etc/xdg/menu/preferences-post-merged/gnome-screensaver-hide-xscreensaver.menu
for how to pull that off...

Old 04-13-2010, 05:26 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 04/13/2010 08:58 AM, charles zeitler wrote:

> and how would this affect those of us
> who don't ( and won't ) have GPK?

We are talking about the default configuration which will include
PackageKit. If you remove it, the entries could get removed.

Rahul

Old 04-13-2010, 05:27 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 04/13/2010 09:50 AM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Instead of Obsoletes, you could make it run a script that does
>
> gpk-install-package-name OOo
> uninstall self
>
> or you can play tricks with menu files to make these stub entries only
> show up if the real ooo is not there yet. E.g, make ooo install a menu
> file that kicks out the stubs. Look
> at /etc/xdg/menu/preferences-post-merged/gnome-screensaver-hide-xscreensaver.menu
> for how to pull that off...

Do you think this is something we should do for Fedora 13?

Rahul

Old 04-13-2010, 06:54 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 04/13/2010 12:07 PM, charles zeitler wrote:

> did i get this wrong? isn't gpk short for gnome-package-kit ?

Yes, it is. Fedora Desktop Live CD includes GNOME PackageKit by
default and we are only talking about the default configuration in our
discussions here.

Rahul

Old 04-13-2010, 07:33 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 04/13/2010 12:53 PM, charles zeitler wrote:

> at the risk of being annoying-
> what is the "default configuration"?
> the same as the "default spin"?

Yes. The default package set and configuration for the Desktop Live CD.

Rahul