Old 04-09-2010, 03:28 AM
Colin Walters

Default CD install delta from F-12 to F-13 current

Hi,

A quick report on the current delta between F-12 and F-13's CD
(generated by my just-committed script
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/spin-kickstarts.git?p=spin-kickstarts.git;a=blob;f=tools/liveimage-diff;h=a7ff363222facf7b908150fb6644aa25d1a56504;hb =HEAD
)

Some highlights are that we added some OS components and apps:
+ "shotwell 2582122
+ "gnome-color-manager 3079621
+ "sssd 4135276
+ "seahorse 7142974
+ "planner 6285529

There's a lot of added packages here, which I think is at least partly
due to the comps unification work.

Removed:

- "gnupg 5073185
- "rhino 826258
- "abiword 15361
- "libabiword 24396251
- "java-1.6.0-openjdk 84493096

The Abiword removal was due to the goal that the CD is just the
desktop, shrunk to fit.

And finally the biggest winners in terms of package size growth:

= "kernel 2667526
= "empathy 2979990
= "libgweather 3184637
= "mesa-dri-drivers 21609392

The full report is attached.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:42 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 04/09/2010 08:58 AM, Colin Walters wrote:
> Some highlights are that we added some OS components and apps:
> + "shotwell 2582122
> + "gnome-color-manager 3079621
> + "sssd 4135276
> + "seahorse 7142974
> + "planner 6285529
>
> Removed:
>
> - "gnupg 5073185
> - "rhino 826258
> - "abiword 15361
> - "libabiword 24396251
> - "java-1.6.0-openjdk 84493096
>
> The Abiword removal was due to the goal that the CD is just the
> desktop, shrunk to fit.

How does it make sense to remove Abiword and add Planner? I assume a
project management tool is much less used than a word processor.

Rahul

Old 04-09-2010, 03:42 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Old 04-09-2010, 03:42 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Old 04-09-2010, 04:32 AM
John Reiser

> A quick report on the current delta between F-12 and F-13's CD
<<snip>>
> The full report is attached.

Apparently the sections were sorted numerically by change in byte size.
It would have been helpful to say so explicitly, and to emphasize
that fact by aligning the numerical change in a tabulated column
that was placed to the left of the package name.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Colin Walters

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 11:42 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:

> How does it make sense to remove Abiword and add Planner? *I assume a
> project management tool is much less used than a word processor.

Good question! So the story on this is that we have 3 different desktops:

* LiveCD install
* DVD/kickstart
* Upgrade from F-(x-1)

The goal is to reduce the delta between these and get to the point
where we really have one default install, which might be subject to
constraints based on space. Upgrades currently don't reflect removals
or comps additions for example. There were additions to the LiveCD
that weren't in the DVD/kickstart install such as Abiword.

The LiveCD is operating on the assumption that you have an internet
connection, you just want to download something relatively small to
get started, and can install new apps afterwards, whether that's
Abiword, OpenOffice, or whatever else.

Now, I understand the desire to pack the LiveCD with as much Free
Software as we can fit in the space constraints. However, we have to
balance this with creating different desktop experiences. This said,
I wouldn't really have a problem with adding Abiword back on the CD.
The far bigger problem in my mind in terms of comps unification was
the random removals that weren't for space reasons (acpid, nfs-utils).
For that kind of thing we need to be fixing the base operating
system.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Colin Walters

Old 04-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Colin Walters

Old 04-10-2010, 05:29 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 04/09/2010 07:29 PM, Colin Walters wrote:

> The LiveCD is operating on the assumption that you have an internet
> connection, you just want to download something relatively small to
> get started, and can install new apps afterwards, whether that's
> Abiword, OpenOffice, or whatever else.

Have you looked into the experience of a user trying to install
Openoffice.org? Search for office or even openoffice and you will get
dozens and dozens of packages and it is going to be very hard for a user
to actually figure out what to pick to get the right apps. We need to
fix that problem if we are not going to include even a word processor by
default.

Rahul