Old 03-24-2010, 10:16 AM
James Laska

Default F-13-Beta Live images are > 700Mib

Greetings,

The Live images created for F-13-Beta-TC1 desktop are over 700 Mib.
This means they no longer fit on a CD image. I've read several posts
noting the intent to have larger desktop live images to offer more
software on the image. I'm just looking to confirm that this is an
intended behavior so we can update our test case [1].

Is this due to the DesktopLiveImageTarget [2] feature that I see in the
upcoming release notes [3]?

Thanks,
James

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Mediakit_ISO_Size
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/DesktopLiveImageTarget
[3]
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/Desktop#From_Live_CD.27s_to_Live_USB.27s

Old 03-24-2010, 10:24 AM
drago01

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:16 PM, James Laska <jlaska@redhat.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> The Live images created for F-13-Beta-TC1 desktop are over 700 Mib.
> This means they no longer fit on a CD image. *I've read several posts
> noting the intent to have larger desktop live images to offer more
> software on the image. *I'm just looking to confirm that this is an
> intended behavior so we can update our test case [1].
>
> Is this due to the DesktopLiveImageTarget [2] feature that I see in the

Yes this was intentional ... welcome to the year 2010

Old 03-24-2010, 12:50 PM
James Laska

On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 07:16 -0400, James Laska wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> The Live images created for F-13-Beta-TC1 desktop are over 700 Mib.
> This means they no longer fit on a CD image. I've read several posts
> noting the intent to have larger desktop live images to offer more
> software on the image. I'm just looking to confirm that this is an
> intended behavior so we can update our test case [1].
>
> Is this due to the DesktopLiveImageTarget [2] feature that I see in the
> upcoming release notes [3]?
>
> Thanks,
> James
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Mediakit_ISO_Size
> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/DesktopLiveImageTarget
> [3]
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/Desktop#From_Live_CD.27s_to_Live_USB.27s

So the new size limit for desktop live images will be 1G or 1Gib?

Thanks,
James

Old 03-24-2010, 01:32 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 07:16:34AM -0400, James Laska wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> The Live images created for F-13-Beta-TC1 desktop are over 700 Mib.
> This means they no longer fit on a CD image. I've read several posts
> noting the intent to have larger desktop live images to offer more
> software on the image. I'm just looking to confirm that this is an
> intended behavior so we can update our test case [1].
>
> Is this due to the DesktopLiveImageTarget [2] feature that I see in the
> upcoming release notes [3]?
>
> Thanks,
> James
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Mediakit_ISO_Size
> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/DesktopLiveImageTarget
> [3]
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/Desktop#From_Live_CD.27s_to_Live_USB.27s

Yes, that's correct -- the default image is intended to be over 700
MiB now.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Adam Jackson

On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 09:50 -0400, James Laska wrote:

> So the new size limit for desktop live images will be 1G or 1Gib?

1GiB. 2^30, not 10^9.

- ajax

Old 03-24-2010, 04:59 PM
David Zeuthen

On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 13:21 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 09:50 -0400, James Laska wrote:
>
> > So the new size limit for desktop live images will be 1G or 1Gib?
>
> 1GiB. 2^30, not 10^9.

Why? It seems backwards to use 1GiB instead of 1GB - most 1GB USB sticks
only hold 1GB, not 1GiB. And the whole point of this excursion was to
fit on 1GB USB sticks. Well, one of the points anyway.

Anyway, it still seems to me that these two statements are still true

a) 2GB sticks are not really more expensive than 1GB sticks
(see list archives for other people seconding this impression)

b) we're already low on space for 1GB/1GiB and we don't even
have anything like hires Theora videos yet. And we want to
leave some space for a persistent overlay.

Also, I think I've asked this twice on this list already... without
anyone caring to respond. Matthias, Colin, please respond...

David

Old 03-24-2010, 05:07 PM
drago01

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 6:59 PM, David Zeuthen <davidz@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 13:21 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
>> On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 09:50 -0400, James Laska wrote:
>>
>> > So the new size limit for desktop live images will be 1G or 1Gib?
>>
>> 1GiB. *2^30, not 10^9.
>
> Why? It seems backwards to use 1GiB instead of 1GB - most 1GB USB sticks
> only hold 1GB, not 1GiB. And the whole point of this excursion was to
> fit on 1GB USB sticks. Well, one of the points anyway.
>
> Anyway, it still seems to me that these two statements are still true
>
> *a) 2GB sticks are not really more expensive than 1GB sticks
> * *(see list archives for other people seconding this impression)

Not speaking for the whole world of course but here in Austria finding
a 1GB stick seems hard (only one listed on a big price comparison
site).

It costs 6.50 € while the cheapest 2GB costs 6.70 € ... so 1GB sticks
are basically dead here.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Adam Williamson

On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 13:21 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 09:50 -0400, James Laska wrote:
>
> > So the new size limit for desktop live images will be 1G or 1Gib?
>
> 1GiB. 2^30, not 10^9.

Hmm. That seems inconsistent. I believe the idea was to target '1GB' USB
sticks; aren't USB sticks usually sold using the base-10 numbers, for
the same reason as hard disks (to inflate apparent capacity)?

Would a 1 GiB image actually fit on your typical '1GB' USB stick?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 03-24-2010, 05:28 PM
David Zeuthen

> On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 13:21 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 09:50 -0400, James Laska wrote:
> >
> > > So the new size limit for desktop live images will be 1G or 1Gib?
> >
> > 1GiB. 2^30, not 10^9.
>
> Hmm. That seems inconsistent. I believe the idea was to target '1GB' USB
> sticks; aren't USB sticks usually sold using the base-10 numbers, for
> the same reason as hard disks (to inflate apparent capacity)?
>
> Would a 1 GiB image actually fit on your typical '1GB' USB stick?

Probably not. The majority of "1GB sticks" are 1000MB (1,000,000,000
bytes), a few are actually 1024MB (1,024,000,000 bytes). FWIW, I've
never seen anything larger than that - e.g. 1000MiB (1,048,576,000
bytes) or 1GiB (1,073,741,824 bytes). But I'm sure if you look long
enough, these do exist!

The whole point is kinda moot since we will need some space for a
persistent overlay *anyway*. So even if a "1GB stick" could hold 1074MB
(e.g. 1GiB) then we'd want more than 74MB for the persistent overlay.

It's also a nice gesture to leave some wiggle room for 3rd party Fedora
respins...

David

Old 03-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Adam Williamson

On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 14:28 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:

> The whole point is kinda moot since we will need some space for a
> persistent overlay *anyway*. So even if a "1GB stick" could hold 1074MB
> (e.g. 1GiB) then we'd want more than 74MB for the persistent overlay.

Sure, but it's not entirely moot, because if we decide we want, oh,
150MB for the permanent overlay, that means we should target 850MB, not
924MB...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey