Old 03-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Default Accounts dialog - help

Hi,

accounts-dialog doesn't have a help button and I don't understand the
difference between different types of accounts - administrator,
standard and supervised. Can we add a tooltip and a help button to help
guide users on what these actually mean?

Rahul

Old 03-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Martin Sourada

> Hi,
>
> accounts-dialog doesn't have a help button and I don't understand the
> difference between different types of accounts - administrator,
> standard and supervised. Can we add a tooltip and a help button to help
> guide users on what these actually mean?

I cannot help it, but... Are we going Windo.s way or what? But anyway,
why do we support creating admin account while we don't support running
gui apps as root? I always thought that *nix has been designed in a way
that usual desktop installation would need only one admin (root) and as
many ordinary users as people switching seats over there (each of which
can perform administration task if they know the root password,
preferably via PolicyKit supervised auth.; I'm skipping system users
like ftp, apache, mail, etc.)... So I'd extend the question a bit: do we
really need the administrator and supervised user choices when creating
a new user and if so: why and what does they actually mean?

Martin

Old 03-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Bill Nottingham

Martin Sourada (martin.sourada@gmail.com) said:
> like ftp, apache, mail, etc.)... So I'd extend the question a bit: do we
> really need the administrator and supervised user choices when creating
> a new user and if so: why and what does they actually mean?

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2009-August/msg00103.html

Bill

Old 03-25-2010, 07:19 AM
Martin Sourada

> Martin Sourada (martin.sourada@gmail.com) said:
> > like ftp, apache, mail, etc.)... So I'd extend the question a bit: do we
> > really need the administrator and supervised user choices when creating
> > a new user and if so: why and what does they actually mean?
>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2009-August/msg00103.html

Thanks, that explains the admin and user parts (and makes sense). But
what about the "supervised user" rahul talked about (sorry if I missed
it somewhere deeper in the thread)?

Martin

Old 03-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Matthias Clasen

On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 09:19 +0100, Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 10:50 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Martin Sourada (martin.sourada@gmail.com) said:
> > > like ftp, apache, mail, etc.)... So I'd extend the question a bit: do we
> > > really need the administrator and supervised user choices when creating
> > > a new user and if so: why and what does they actually mean?
> >
> > http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2009-August/msg00103.html
> >
> Thanks, that explains the admin and user parts (and makes sense). But
> what about the "supervised user" rahul talked about (sorry if I missed
> it somewhere deeper in the thread)?

The idea is to have an account type that has reduced privileges compared
to a 'normal' account, e.g. for your kids. This will tie in with
parental controls as well, eventually.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 03/25/2010 06:23 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> The idea is to have an account type that has reduced privileges compared
> to a 'normal' account, e.g. for your kids. This will tie in with
> parental controls as well, eventually.

What does it do currently? It would be very useful to have some clear
documentation via a help button.

Rahul

Old 03-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Matthias Clasen

> On 03/25/2010 06:23 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >
> > The idea is to have an account type that has reduced privileges compared
> > to a 'normal' account, e.g. for your kids. This will tie in with
> > parental controls as well, eventually.
> >

> What does it do currently? It would be very useful to have some clear
> documentation via a help button.

Currently it gives you a regular account, without any extra policykit
privileges. The 'user' and 'admin' account types get added to the
desktop_user_r/desktop_admin_r groups, which are granted extra policykit
privileges.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 03/25/2010 06:45 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Currently it gives you a regular account, without any extra policykit
> privileges. The 'user' and 'admin' account types get added to the
> desktop_user_r/desktop_admin_r groups, which are granted extra policykit
> privileges.

So the supervised user is currently no different from a regular user?
Why not disable that option till we get that functionality in?

Rahul

Old 03-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Bastien Nocera

> On 03/25/2010 06:45 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > Currently it gives you a regular account, without any extra policykit
> > privileges. The 'user' and 'admin' account types get added to the
> > desktop_user_r/desktop_admin_r groups, which are granted extra policykit
> > privileges.
> >

> So the supervised user is currently no different from a regular user?

It is, it's not in any PolicyKit groups.

> Why not disable that option till we get that functionality in?

The user-accounts dialogue isn't installed by default, and you'll see
more bits that aren't implemented yet, such as the GDM integration.

It's a work-in-progress, I don't see any point in removing functionality
that we know isn't finished. Patches welcome.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 13:48 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> The user-accounts dialogue isn't installed by default, and you'll see
> more bits that aren't implemented yet, such as the GDM integration.
>
> It's a work-in-progress, I don't see any point in removing functionality
> that we know isn't finished. Patches welcome.

gdm integration actually made it into an F13 gdm build yesterday.