Old 03-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Colin Walters

Default Rename fedora-livecd-desktop to fedora-live-desktop.ks, add -cd.ks

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Colin Walters <walters@verbum.org> wrote:
> See attached.

[Assuming you've read and understood the patch]

I'm doing a compose now of the new fedora-live-desktop.ks, which has
no minimizations for size. The diff here turns out to be relatively
small. A lot of random Unix utilities, the vast majority of which we
should basically kick out in favor of PackageKit-command-not-found,
but not this cycle.

But we need to go over this diff, there are a few things that stand out:

+desktop-backgrounds-basic

Can someone familiar with backgrounds fill me in?

+smartmontools

Since this is another send-mail-to-root-that's-never-seen subsystem, I
think we should kick this out of @base and into
@traditional-unix-server. But since that comps group doesn't exist,
for now I will explicitly exclude it in -desktop.ks.

+specspo

Is this maintained/useful?

+hplip

Someone who knows about printing; is this included in
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/AutomaticPrintDriverInstallation
?

+krb5-auth-dialog

This should really only be running if you actually have a kerberos
ticket. Needs a patch for gnome-session. I'll look at this.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Colin Walters

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Colin Walters <walters@verbum.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Colin Walters <walters@verbum.org> wrote:
>> See attached.
>
> [Assuming you've read and understood the patch]
>
> I'm doing a compose now of the new fedora-live-desktop.ks, which has
> no minimizations for size. *The diff here turns out to be relatively
> small. *A lot of random Unix utilities, the vast majority of which we
> should basically kick out in favor of PackageKit-command-not-found,
> but not this cycle.

Update: New size is:

-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 946864128 2010-03-23 11:02
livecd-fedora-live-desktop-201003231038.iso

Which doesn't leave a lot of room for a persistent overlay on a 1GB
USB key. I'll dive into this. It's probably worth staying under
900MB.

I'm also working on a desktop image that fits in a CD, with much more
extreme minimization.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Rui Tiago Cação Matos

On 23 March 2010 15:39, Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> wrote:
>> +samba-client
>
> Is this really needed in the desktop with gvfs/gnome-vfs SMB
> support?

samba-client is needed by cups to print to Windows network shared
printers which are quite common in several work places IME.

Rui

Old 03-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Marian Holovatskyy

Hi!
As I'm using Fedora really a lot, I don't like these to be removed. I like Fedora for the plenty of useful tools, so I don't need to dig into system internals in order to make some necessary settings. I change the services often, and use system-config-network as the Network Manager is really unstable and has a lot of bugs. I suppose that for user friendlines, there have to be as much configuration tools as possible to make the system to work properly (for example, what the use of Office packages if the default ON services eat lots of CPU?). Personaly I tune the system a lot, so I'd like to have the tools to do this.

+-alacarte
+-system-config-boot
+-system-config-language
+-system-config-lvm