Old 03-13-2010, 03:27 AM
Matthias Clasen

Default Shotwell 0.5

Hey,

I've just built shotwell 0.5 for F13, the build should show up in
updates-testing in a bit. This is the release that has all the features
that we wanted when we decided to make it the default photo app in the
desktop spin: upload to various web services, printing, tagging, etc.

It would be great if the photo-minded among us could give it some
testing.

Matthias

Old 03-14-2010, 06:52 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 03/13/2010 09:57 AM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I've just built shotwell 0.5 for F13, the build should show up in
> updates-testing in a bit. This is the release that has all the features
> that we wanted when we decided to make it the default photo app in the
> desktop spin: upload to various web services, printing, tagging, etc.
>
> It would be great if the photo-minded among us could give it some
> testing.

Does it replace only Gthumb or F-Spot as well?

Rahul

Old 03-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Matthias Clasen

On Sun, 2010-03-14 at 13:22 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 03/13/2010 09:57 AM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > I've just built shotwell 0.5 for F13, the build should show up in
> > updates-testing in a bit. This is the release that has all the features
> > that we wanted when we decided to make it the default photo app in the
> > desktop spin: upload to various web services, printing, tagging, etc.
> >
> > It would be great if the photo-minded among us could give it some
> > testing.
> >

> Does it replace only Gthumb or F-Spot as well?

All I have done is move gthumb from default to optional in the
gnome-desktop group, and move shotwell the other way.

f-spot is not on the desktop spin anyway.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 03/14/2010 06:08 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> All I have done is move gthumb from default to optional in the
> gnome-desktop group, and move shotwell the other way.
>
> f-spot is not on the desktop spin anyway.

Yes, I am aware of that but the question was related to the regular
installation DVD/ CD set where if you pick the defaults, you will end up
with both Shotwell and F-Spot, right? There seems to be significant
amount of overlap between those and I am wondering if that makes sense
or whether we should pick Shotwell alone.

Rahul

Old 03-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Sun, 2010-03-14 at 18:42 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 03/14/2010 06:08 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >
> > All I have done is move gthumb from default to optional in the
> > gnome-desktop group, and move shotwell the other way.
> >
> > f-spot is not on the desktop spin anyway.
> >

> Yes, I am aware of that but the question was related to the regular
> installation DVD/ CD set where if you pick the defaults, you will end up
> with both Shotwell and F-Spot, right? There seems to be significant
> amount of overlap between those and I am wondering if that makes sense
> or whether we should pick Shotwell alone.

We don't really control or design the 'regular installation' in any
form.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 03/14/2010 07:40 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:

>> Yes, I am aware of that but the question was related to the regular
>> installation DVD/ CD set where if you pick the defaults, you will end up
>> with both Shotwell and F-Spot, right? There seems to be significant
>> amount of overlap between those and I am wondering if that makes sense
>> or whether we should pick Shotwell alone.
>>
> We don't really control or design the 'regular installation' in any
> form.

You can modify the comps groups though.

Rahul

Old 03-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Nicu Buculei

On 03/13/2010 06:27 AM, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> I've just built shotwell 0.5 for F13, the build should show up in
> updates-testing in a bit. This is the release that has all the features
> that we wanted when we decided to make it the default photo app in the
> desktop spin: upload to various web services, printing, tagging, etc.
>
> It would be great if the photo-minded among us could give it some
> testing.

I am not on Rawhide yet (I have a ton of things to do these days and
can't afford to do this) but checked the website
(http://trac.yorba.org/wiki/UsingShotwell0.5) to learn a bit about it.

For me Shotwell fails the usefulness test very quickly as it has to
"import" the photos, by copying them in the Pictures dir on my home. For
me this is unworkable, as having tens of thousands of photos, summing
hundreds of GB stored on external drives, I need to keep the files into
place.

It would also be not useful for a photographer organizing and keeping
his photos on DVDs, as many do... it would be a lot more useful if the
application keep the image files into the original place and only create
a database of filenames and metadata (but for that we don't have tracker?)

This is also a problem when the user will launch the application from
Live media, as the Desktop spin is, in many cases he won't have
persistent write access to /home so the import in Pictures will be only
temporary (and limited in size).

In my opinion, if eog would have a few editing features, then a
combination of eog, nautilus and tracker would do anything that shotwell
do. But this is just my opinion, I use "photo organizers" very little,
my workflow is like this: organizing with Nautilus and eog, a few custom
imagemacick scripts to help with organizing and editing, gthumb *only*
for its nice "create web album" feature and Gimp for *everything* else.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:57 PM
Debarshi Ray

> In my opinion, if eog would have a few editing features, then a
> combination of eog, nautilus and tracker would do anything that shotwell
> do.

I do not intend to hijack this thread, but you can probably try out
Solang some time. It fetches all the meta-data (ie. tags, Exif, etc.)
from Tracker. So there is no need to import anything.

Right now the editing features are not too good as we want to
implement them using GEGL, which is still not mature. That way it
becomes easy to implement a RAW processing pipeline and we do not want
to do it the way F-Spot does it now. It is still under heavy
development and definitely not feature complete, so ... :-)

Cheers,
Debarshi
--
One reason that life is complex is that it has a real part and an
imaginary part.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Martin Sourada

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 13:50 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 03/13/2010 06:27 AM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >
> > I've just built shotwell 0.5 for F13, the build should show up in
> > updates-testing in a bit. This is the release that has all the features
> > that we wanted when we decided to make it the default photo app in the
> > desktop spin: upload to various web services, printing, tagging, etc.
> >
> > It would be great if the photo-minded among us could give it some
> > testing.
>
> I am not on Rawhide yet (I have a ton of things to do these days and
> can't afford to do this) but checked the website
> (http://trac.yorba.org/wiki/UsingShotwell0.5) to learn a bit about it.
>
> For me Shotwell fails the usefulness test very quickly as it has to
> "import" the photos, by copying them in the Pictures dir on my home. For
> me this is unworkable, as having tens of thousands of photos, summing
> hundreds of GB stored on external drives, I need to keep the files into
> place.

I haven't given it a shot either, but... I just cannot help but remind
you of mount --bind... But more seriously -- If you read the page more
throughout you'd know it actually does not need to copy the photos to
~/Pictures:

" If you hold down Ctrl+Shift while dragging photos in, Shotwell will
import the photos without copying them."

But indeed, at the very least on live spin, the default behaviour should
be to import the photos *without* copying them.

Regards,
Martin

Old 03-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Nicu Buculei

On 03/15/2010 05:25 PM, Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 13:50 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>>
>> For me Shotwell fails the usefulness test very quickly as it has to
>> "import" the photos, by copying them in the Pictures dir on my home. For
>> me this is unworkable, as having tens of thousands of photos, summing
>> hundreds of GB stored on external drives, I need to keep the files into
>> place.
>>
> I haven't given it a shot either, but... I just cannot help but remind
> you of mount --bind... But more seriously -- If you read the page more
> throughout you'd know it actually does not need to copy the photos to
> ~/Pictures:
>
> " If you hold down Ctrl+Shift while dragging photos in, Shotwell will
> import the photos without copying them."

I am sorry, I read the page extremely briefly I am swamped with a taks
somewhat related to the topic: have a massive photo set (over 3500
images) made over the last week-end and try to put some sanity into it
(so I *do* care about managing photos).