Old 03-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Nils Philippsen

Default Simple Scan

On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 09:22 +0100, Nils Philippsen wrote:

> I'd ask of you to put something in the release notes, though, so people
> don't get surprised if they don't get xsane per default anymore when
> selecting the Graphics group.

I just found that simple-scan is mentioned already in the desktop beat.
Do you think it would be worthwhile to mention that the xsane (the app
and the GIMP plugin) is still available for those that need/want it?

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty

Old 03-25-2010, 12:59 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 09:22:38AM +0100, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 13:14 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Nils Philippsen <nils@redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Completely removing xsane/xsane-gimp from comps was totally uncalled
> > > for, I've added xsane again as optional and xsane-gimp conditional on
> > > gimp. Not seeking my input before doing so was just bad style, I've
> > > repeatedly asked on this list(*) to involve out-of-team-maintainers if
> > > you intend to do something to their components. It's really not that
> > > hard.
> >
> > Good point Nils, apologies for that.
>
> Accepted and sorry for harsh words :-).
>
> > I'm a bit pressed here trying to
> > sort out the image and unify the kickstart and comps. xsane was one
> > of the random exclusions.
> >
> > We could just make this change for F14 or not make it at all yet; any
> > other opinions?
>
> Mind, I'm not against relegating xsane to not being the default, it is
> just to complicated for casual users.
>
> As I said, I've made xsane an optional package and xsane-gimp a
> conditional based on gimp in comps. This way people that want to have
> the stand-alone xsane can choose to do so in the installer and people
> that choose gimp get the plugin automatically. For me that's sufficient,
> I don't think we need to wait until F-14 for that.
>
> I'd ask of you to put something in the release notes, though, so people
> don't get surprised if they don't get xsane per default anymore when
> selecting the Graphics group.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Documentation_Desktop_Beat#Simple_Scan_scanning_ut ility

There's some information there now about Simple Scan. If anyone wants
to add to that, please do it as a separate paragraph -- that helps the
Docs team make things easier for the Translation teams.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 03/25/2010 07:17 PM, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 09:22 +0100, Nils Philippsen wrote:
>

>> I'd ask of you to put something in the release notes, though, so people
>> don't get surprised if they don't get xsane per default anymore when
>> selecting the Graphics group.
>>
> I just found that simple-scan is mentioned already in the desktop beat.
> Do you think it would be worthwhile to mention that the xsane (the app
> and the GIMP plugin) is still available for those that need/want it?

Sure. Feel free to add a note.

Rahul

Old 03-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 14:47 +0100, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 09:22 +0100, Nils Philippsen wrote:
>
> > I'd ask of you to put something in the release notes, though, so people
> > don't get surprised if they don't get xsane per default anymore when
> > selecting the Graphics group.
>
> I just found that simple-scan is mentioned already in the desktop beat.
> Do you think it would be worthwhile to mention that the xsane (the app
> and the GIMP plugin) is still available for those that need/want it?

Can't hurt. Go for it.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Nils Philippsen

> On 03/25/2010 07:17 PM, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 09:22 +0100, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> >

> >> I'd ask of you to put something in the release notes, though, so people
> >> don't get surprised if they don't get xsane per default anymore when
> >> selecting the Graphics group.
> >>
> > I just found that simple-scan is mentioned already in the desktop beat.
> > Do you think it would be worthwhile to mention that the xsane (the app
> > and the GIMP plugin) is still available for those that need/want it?
> >

> Sure. Feel free to add a note.

Done.