Old 03-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Nicu Buculei

Default The backup

On 03/03/2010 06:50 PM, Hristo Petkov wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> What are you going to backup.

In an ideal world you would backup *everything*.

> The OS is 'backed-up' on the live CD, the applications are 'backed-up'

That's the base OS, without any applications and without updates. Going
up-to-date will take a lot longer than restoring a backup.

> all over the web, the repository lists can be found in Google, and the

Hunting for apps and installing them online means you can't use your
computer for your needs.

> user files can simply be copied onto a flash memory - 64 GB for example.

Are you joking? When did you copy last time your /home on a flash
memory? How long did it take?

> What is more with every new installation of the OS you are becomming
> better and better - this is a unique chance to improve your skills and
> to update or upgrade the OS.

I take you never lost you /home so far...

> What are you going to backup.

Usually every user has to decide for a backup strategy examining various
trade-offs: size, space, time, importance of data.
For a simple user (the target of the Desktop spin) I expect to be about
documents, data and settings.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Bill Nottingham

Nicu Buculei (nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro) said:
> Usually every user has to decide for a backup strategy examining various
> trade-offs: size, space, time, importance of data.
> For a simple user (the target of the Desktop spin) I expect to be about
> documents, data and settings.

Ideally, I would think a backup would contain:
- a full backup of the user's data, settings, documents (i.e., $HOME)
- some sort of recovery script that contains their repository info and
installed packages, to kick off a recovery of the system

Bill

Old 03-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Brad Banko

*
As a simple home user... I use Grsync from the desktop to backup my home directory to an external drive, and once per month, I use rsync to copy backup drive to a second drive.

I really like Grsync from the desktop... two clicks to activate my standard home directory backup, but I don't understand how to use it from the GUI desktop to backup say, the entire home directory without tinkering with everybody's permissions.

*
For an all-users data backup, I usually just drop into a terminal, log in as root and use rsync.
I like backing up my data in simple standard file structures that don't require any special software to read through... my main backup drive is formatted NTFS.* Occasionally I boot the machine into Windows, and it is nice to be able to access all of the Linux files backed up there easily from Windows... and vice-versa.

*

*
On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro> wrote:

On 03/03/2010 06:50 PM, Hristo Petkov wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> What are you going to backup.

In an ideal world you would backup *everything*.

> The OS is 'backed-up' on the live CD, the applications are 'backed-up'

That's the base OS, without any applications and without updates. Going
up-to-date will take a lot longer than restoring a backup.

> all over the web, the repository lists can be found in Google, and the

Hunting for apps and installing them online means you can't use your
computer for your needs.

> user files can simply be copied onto a flash memory - 64 GB for example.

Are you joking? When did you copy last time your /home on a flash
memory? How long did it take?

> What is more with every new installation of the OS you are becomming
> better and better - this is a unique chance to improve your skills and
> to update or upgrade the OS.

I take you never lost you /home so far...

> What are you going to backup.

Usually every user has to decide for a backup strategy examining various
trade-offs: size, space, time, importance of data.
For a simple user (the target of the Desktop spin) I expect to be about

documents, data and settings.

========

Plan or attend a Linux Installfest near you soon.

Ubuntu, fedora, OpenSUSE... take your pick... *Soon there will be Google OS,,, maybe even Google Android for the desktop.

OpenOffice for your document management...