Old 03-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Marian Holovatskyy

Default Transmission Replacement

Hi all!
I've recently used the torrents intensively, so had a close look at torrent clients on Fedora. So there is a proposition to replace the Transmission with the Deluge torrent client. As for me, Transmission has a really nice interface and works fine, but I've found that it's gui can be really freezing (the download is going fine, but the gui shows just a white blank window), there is something like Verification of Local Data, as for me it is very-very slow and can be done on one torrent at a time, so if there are a few torrents in a list, thye all are waiting till the Local Data of one of them is verified and only after that the download starts. So far, I've not found these troubles in Deluge.

--
Best regards.
Marian Holovatskyy

Old 03-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Martin Sourada

Hi Marian,

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 10:54 +0200, Marian Holovatskyy wrote:
> Hi all!
> I've recently used the torrents intensively, so had a close look at
> torrent clients on Fedora. So there is a proposition to replace the
> Transmission with the Deluge torrent client. As for me, Transmission
> has a really nice interface and works fine, but I've found that it's
> gui can be really freezing (the download is going fine, but the gui
> shows just a white blank window), there is something like Verification
> of Local Data, as for me it is very-very slow and can be done on one
> torrent at a time, so if there are a few torrents in a list, thye all
> are waiting till the Local Data of one of them is verified and only
> after that the download starts. So far, I've not found these troubles
> in Deluge.

Over the past years I've been switching between different torrent
clients (azureus, deluge, bittorrent, linkage, transmisson) and
transmission seems to work best. Deluge is a bit fat, I'd say. For
default desktop, transmission can IMHO offer the best user experience
while still keeping relatively minimalistic, responsive and easy to use
UI.

Deluge also sometimes verifies local data and it's very slow as well, I
don't recall whether it blocks other torrents though...

Martin

Old 03-01-2010, 08:46 AM
Bastien Nocera

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 10:27 +0100, Martin Sourada wrote:
> Hi Marian,
>
> On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 10:54 +0200, Marian Holovatskyy wrote:
> > Hi all!
> > I've recently used the torrents intensively, so had a close look at
> > torrent clients on Fedora. So there is a proposition to replace the
> > Transmission with the Deluge torrent client. As for me, Transmission
> > has a really nice interface and works fine, but I've found that it's
> > gui can be really freezing (the download is going fine, but the gui
> > shows just a white blank window), there is something like Verification
> > of Local Data, as for me it is very-very slow and can be done on one
> > torrent at a time, so if there are a few torrents in a list, thye all
> > are waiting till the Local Data of one of them is verified and only
> > after that the download starts. So far, I've not found these troubles
> > in Deluge.
>
> Over the past years I've been switching between different torrent
> clients (azureus, deluge, bittorrent, linkage, transmisson) and
> transmission seems to work best. Deluge is a bit fat, I'd say. For
> default desktop, transmission can IMHO offer the best user experience
> while still keeping relatively minimalistic, responsive and easy to use
> UI.

Transmission was chosen because it was low dependencies, and integrated
well into GNOME, for the Desktop spin.

If you have specific bugs, I would advise you check the upstream Trac
instance, and report the bugs there directly.

Switching interfaces and programs for this functionality on the basis of
a bug is not a good idea when the problem seems to be a bug, rather than
something fundamentally wrong with the application.

Cheers

Old 03-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Charles Kerr

Marian Holovatskyy wrote:

> but I've found that it's gui can be really freezing (the download is going fine, but the gui shows just a white blank window)

I haven't seen this behavior. Could you please open a ticket at
http://trac.transmissionbt.com/newticket describing the steps it takes
to make this occur?

> There is something like Verification of Local Data, as for me it is very-very slow and can be done on one torrent at a time, so if there are a few torrents in a list, they all are waiting till the Local Data of one of them is verified and only after that the download starts.

Verifying local data is inherently slow because it requires reading
every byte of the torrent's downloaded data in chunks from the local
disk to generate sha1 checksums. Because of the load this puts on
disk IO and the CPU, Transmission -- and Deluge -- verifies torrents
one at a time, rather than in parallel.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Adam Williamson

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 08:32 -0600, Charles Kerr wrote:
> Marian Holovatskyy wrote:
>
> > but I've found that it's gui can be really freezing (the download is going fine, but the gui shows just a white blank window)
>
> I haven't seen this behavior. Could you please open a ticket at
> http://trac.transmissionbt.com/newticket describing the steps it takes
> to make this occur?

I saw something similar for a while about a year or so back (running on
Mandriva or Fedora). Switched to Deluge for a while because of it.
Recently I noticed Transmission seemed to be working okay again, so I
switched back. Not very useful, I know, just a general data point (and a
'it works for me, at the moment').
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey