Old 02-20-2010, 01:12 AM
Brad Banko

Default system-config-network

As a casual, but interested user, I do find the network configuration
confusing... I use fedora 10 (gnome) most of the time, and I can never
remember which submenu to go to in order to set the hostname...

Every once in a while, Network Manager behaves flaky and stops or
won't start (I've seen this mainly in Ubuntu 8, 9.x) and then you can
be stuck.

Sent from my iPhone

Old 02-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Aioanei Rares

On 02/20/2010 02:49 AM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> Do we really need to keep this in the menu? Does anyone need
> System->Administration->Network or Network Device Control now that we
> have NetworkManager?

I, for one, do not use N-M unless on a laptop (wired and wireless
interfaces). I prefer the old-fashioned way to connect and set up my
Ethernet interfaces. And I bet there are others.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Chuck Anderson

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 02:41:25PM +0200, Aioanei Rares wrote:
> On 02/20/2010 02:49 AM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> > Do we really need to keep this in the menu? Does anyone need
> > System->Administration->Network or Network Device Control now that we
> > have NetworkManager?
> >
> I, for one, do not use N-M unless on a laptop (wired and wireless
> interfaces). I prefer the old-fashioned way to connect and set up my
> Ethernet interfaces. And I bet there are others.

Yes, but it is confusing to new users. We can still keep the command
line system-config-network, I'm just advocating to hide/remove it from
the menu of the Desktop spin for F13. NM has matured enough that I
think it is about time to accept it as the "one default" in the menu.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:03 PM
Adam Williamson

On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 09:15 -0500, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 02:41:25PM +0200, Aioanei Rares wrote:
> > On 02/20/2010 02:49 AM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> > > Do we really need to keep this in the menu? Does anyone need
> > > System->Administration->Network or Network Device Control now that we
> > > have NetworkManager?
> > >
> > I, for one, do not use N-M unless on a laptop (wired and wireless
> > interfaces). I prefer the old-fashioned way to connect and set up my
> > Ethernet interfaces. And I bet there are others.
>
> Yes, but it is confusing to new users. We can still keep the command
> line system-config-network, I'm just advocating to hide/remove it from
> the menu of the Desktop spin for F13. NM has matured enough that I
> think it is about time to accept it as the "one default" in the menu.

+1, I think having both network config utilities in the menus is a bad
idea. Of course, it'd be best to have whichever one is actually
appropriate to the current configuration present, but I don't think
that's possible unless we adopt some messy wrapper approach?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 02-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Bill Nottingham

Adam Williamson (awilliam@redhat.com) said:
> +1, I think having both network config utilities in the menus is a bad
> idea. Of course, it'd be best to have whichever one is actually
> appropriate to the current configuration present, but I don't think
> that's possible unless we adopt some messy wrapper approach?

nm-connection-editor, when checking 'make connection available to all
users', writes the same configuration files that s-c-network does.

Bill

Old 02-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Chuck Anderson

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 02:13:34PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Adam Williamson (awilliam@redhat.com) said:
> > +1, I think having both network config utilities in the menus is a bad
> > idea. Of course, it'd be best to have whichever one is actually
> > appropriate to the current configuration present, but I don't think
> > that's possible unless we adopt some messy wrapper approach?
>
> nm-connection-editor, when checking 'make connection available to all
> users', writes the same configuration files that s-c-network does.

Yup, and it is already in the menu:

System->Preferences->Network Connections

Old 02-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Dan Williams

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 21:12 -0500, Brad Banko wrote:
> As a casual, but interested user, I do find the network configuration
> confusing... I use fedora 10 (gnome) most of the time, and I can never
> remember which submenu to go to in order to set the hostname...
>
> Every once in a while, Network Manager behaves flaky and stops or
> won't start (I've seen this mainly in Ubuntu 8, 9.x) and then you can
> be stuck.

Ubuntu 8 and 9.04 ship pretty old versions of NetworkManager that we
haven't shipped in Fedora since F7/F8/F9. They aren't a good read of
the state of NetworkManager for the past year or two.

Dan

Old 02-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Timothy Murphy

Is there something wrong with my Fedora-16/KDE setup,
or has this command become completely useless?

It used to show me the various interfaces on my computer,
with information which I could edit about them.

Now I am offered a single window
(with a border of circumflex-ed a's!)
with 2 choices: Device configuration and DNS configuration.

If I choose the first I am just shown the ethernet connection
to my laptop, which I am not using, with no information about it
except for its name "p2p1".

DNS configuration just shows me the content of /etc/resolv.conf .

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net