Old 02-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Matthias Clasen

Default trying a new cursor theme

As part of the ongoing theme renovations in the desktop spin, we would
like to try a new cursor theme for F13 to replace the aging Bluecurve
cursors.

After some looking around, we have found the DMZ theme by Jakub Steiner
to be a good candidate, since it is high-quality and conservative enough
to be suitable as a default cursor theme.

It is available now in the dmz-cursor-themes package. Please give it a
try and let me know what you think,

Matthias

Old 02-19-2010, 08:58 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 22:58 +0100, Kris Thomsen wrote:
> Where can we find that package?

In koji now, and in F13/rawhide repos very soon.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:58 PM
Matthias Clasen

Old 02-19-2010, 08:58 PM
Kris Thomsen

Where can we find that package?

// Kris

Old 02-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Jaroslav Reznik

On Friday 19 February 2010 10:58:13 pm Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 22:58 +0100, Kris Thomsen wrote:
> > Where can we find that package?
>
> In koji now, and in F13/rawhide repos very soon.

Do you have screenshot/screencast? I know, I can try it by myself, just too
lazy (it's quite late today).

Thanks
Jaroslav

Old 02-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Kris Thomsen

They seem to work quite fine here

// Kris

Old 02-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Martin Sourada

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 16:46 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> As part of the ongoing theme renovations in the desktop spin, we would
> like to try a new cursor theme for F13 to replace the aging Bluecurve
> cursors.
>
> After some looking around, we have found the DMZ theme by Jakub Steiner
> to be a good candidate, since it is high-quality and conservative enough
> to be suitable as a default cursor theme.
>
> It is available now in the dmz-cursor-themes package. Please give it a
> try and let me know what you think,

Seriously, for me it would feel like a step side way instead of forward.
The design is overaly same as for Bluecurve, but I prefer the blue
spinning thingie we have in fedora as well as the more usual resize-type
cursors. The gradient in DMZ feels a bit odd compared to bluecurve.
(Note that I tested only the dark version, as I don't like white cursor
themes)

In past I've tried various cursor themes, but always came back to
Bluecurve. It seems to be really well made and especially pleasant to
work with for extended periods of time. I don't see much reason now for
a change unless you find a really compelling theme that would indeed be
refreshing and at least equally usable as Bluecurve.

Martin

Old 02-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Martin Sourada

Old 02-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Adam Williamson

On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 00:07 +0100, Martin Sourada wrote:

> > It is available now in the dmz-cursor-themes package. Please give it a
> > try and let me know what you think,
> >
> Seriously, for me it would feel like a step side way instead of forward.
> The design is overaly same as for Bluecurve, but I prefer the blue
> spinning thingie we have in fedora as well as the more usual resize-type
> cursors. The gradient in DMZ feels a bit odd compared to bluecurve.
> (Note that I tested only the dark version, as I don't like white cursor
> themes)
>
> In past I've tried various cursor themes, but always came back to
> Bluecurve. It seems to be really well made and especially pleasant to
> work with for extended periods of time. I don't see much reason now for
> a change unless you find a really compelling theme that would indeed be
> refreshing and at least equally usable as Bluecurve.

Right, I'm kinda with Martin. I don't really see a reason to change. The
purported reason is that the current cursors are 'aging', but what does
that mean? Has there been some amazing revolution in cursor design which
causes Bluecurve to be 'old'? I didn't know cursors came with expiry
dates...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey