Old 02-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Adam Williamson

Default Color Management Test Day Thursday 2010-02-18

It's Test Day time again!

This Thursday, 2010-02-18, will be Color Management Test Day[1]. There's
some exciting new color management features[2] in Fedora 13. That is to
say, there are color management features in Fedora 13! We've never had
any real color management in Fedora before, so this is great news for
photographers and designers in particular - but everybody, really.

The good news is testing for this Test Day is very easy - anyone with a
monitor can do most of the testing. A scanner, printer, webcam or
colorimeter let you do some other tests. You don't need a Rawhide
installation to do the testing, just a nightly live image[3] will do
fine, and the testing process is fully documented and won't take more
than a few minutes. So come out and help us test! Even if you don't use
Fedora, you can test very easily with a live image, and this is one of
those features that's popping up in Fedora first but will soon appear in
all distributions (as it'll be part of GNOME itself), so you'll be
helping your own distribution by testing.

The Test Day will run all day in Freenode IRC #fedora-test-day.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-02-18_Color_management
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ColorManagement
[3] http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/desktop/
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 02-17-2010, 12:48 AM
"Dariusz J. Garbowski"

Features/ColorManagement describes per-screen / per-output support. I have a dual monitor setup here
(potentially even triple-monitor if I could setup SurroundView with on-board Radeon and discrete
Radeon card). I don't see test case for multi-monitor setups. Is this planned or supported already?

Cheers,
Dariusz

Old 02-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Richard Hughes

On 17 February 2010 01:48, Dariusz J. Garbowski <thuforuk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Features/ColorManagement describes per-screen / per-output support. I have a dual monitor setup here
> (potentially even triple-monitor if I could setup SurroundView with on-board Radeon and discrete
> Radeon card). I don't see test case for multi-monitor setups. Is this planned or supported already?

It's supported already, unless you're running the nvidia binary blob.
I've never tested with SurroundView, but if you're setting up the
monitors with xrandr, they should work fine.

Richard.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Adam Williamson

On Tue, 2010-02-16 at 18:48 -0700, Dariusz J. Garbowski wrote:
> Features/ColorManagement describes per-screen / per-output support. I have a dual monitor setup here
> (potentially even triple-monitor if I could setup SurroundView with on-board Radeon and discrete
> Radeon card). I don't see test case for multi-monitor setups. Is this planned or supported already?

Oh, my bad, I just didn't write one. Yes, in fact the whole system is
built in such a way that it couldn't possibly *not* support
multi-monitor; all profiles are applied to specific input / output
devices, not to 'the desktop' or anything. So you have to assign one
profile per monitor.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 02-18-2010, 12:24 AM
"Dariusz J. Garbowski"

On 17/02/10 11:33 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-02-16 at 18:48 -0700, Dariusz J. Garbowski wrote:
>> Features/ColorManagement describes per-screen / per-output support. I have a dual monitor setup here
>> (potentially even triple-monitor if I could setup SurroundView with on-board Radeon and discrete
>> Radeon card). I don't see test case for multi-monitor setups. Is this planned or supported already?
>
> Oh, my bad, I just didn't write one. Yes, in fact the whole system is
> built in such a way that it couldn't possibly *not* support
> multi-monitor; all profiles are applied to specific input / output
> devices, not to 'the desktop' or anything. So you have to assign one
> profile per monitor.

Adam, Richard,

Thanks for your answers. I will do my part in testing color management. It
may be that I will have to do it over the weekend (there's this work thing going on on weekdays!)...

Cheers,
Dariusz

Old 02-18-2010, 12:35 AM
Adam Williamson

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 18:24 -0700, Dariusz J. Garbowski wrote:

> Thanks for your answers. I will do my part in testing color management. It
> may be that I will have to do it over the weekend (there's this work thing going on on weekdays!)...

We can send your boss a note, if you think it'd help
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey