Old 01-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Hristo Petkov

Default f4l

Hi Guys,
I am still under f11 and I know that you are talking about f13 and f14 already, but I have problems with the flash for linux on my desktop (it is designed for f7 and obviously does not work properly under f11).
Can you convince somehow Adobe to go open-source and to make some professional flash editor. Obviously the flash editor is not exactly do-it-yourself business as most of the other things under linux are.

Regards,
Christo Petkov

Old 01-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Matthew Miller

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 12:02:12PM -0800, Hristo Petkov wrote:
> Can you convince somehow Adobe to go open-source and to make some
> professional flash editor. Obviously the flash editor is not exactly
> do-it-yourself business as most of the other things under linux are.

If only it were so easy!

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org>
Senior Systems Architect

Old 01-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Torstein Adolf Winterseth

2010/1/7 Hristo Petkov <vaeood@yahoo.com>

> Hi Guys,
> I am still under f11 and I know that you are talking about f13 and f14 already, but I have problems with the flash for linux on my desktop (it is designed for f7 and obviously does not work properly under f11).
> Can you convince somehow Adobe to go open-source and to make some professional flash editor. Obviously the flash editor is not exactly do-it-yourself business as most of the other things under linux are.
>
> Regards,
> Christo Petkov

It would be awesome, however Adobe's business model is to sell their
proprietary Flash Editor for tonnes of money.

For their flash plugin, you should check out Gnash. Gnash is a
reverse-engineered flash player that works pretty good on older flash
stuff. They are still catching up with Adobe's player and they
probably will continue catching up for a while.

Gnash's site: http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/
Gnash's dev site: http://www.gnashdev.org/
Place to go to donate: http://openmedianow.org/

--
Mvh / Kind regards
Torstein Adolf Winterseth

Old 01-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Tareq Al Jurf

So if gnash is up to date, it will be able to run flash media perfectly?

2010/1/8 Torstein Adolf Winterseth <torswin@gmail.com>

2010/1/7 Hristo Petkov <vaeood@yahoo.com>

> Hi Guys,

> I am still under f11 and I know that you are talking about f13 and f14 already, but I have problems with the flash for linux on my desktop (it is designed for f7 and obviously does not work properly under f11).

> Can you convince somehow Adobe to go open-source and to make some professional flash editor. Obviously the flash editor is not exactly do-it-yourself business as most of the other things under linux are.

> Regards,

> Christo Petkov

It would be awesome, however Adobe's business model is to sell their

proprietary Flash Editor for tonnes of money.

For their flash plugin, you should check out Gnash. Gnash is a

reverse-engineered flash player that works pretty good on older flash

stuff. They are still catching up with Adobe's player and they

probably will continue catching up for a while.

Gnash's site: http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/

Gnash's dev site: http://www.gnashdev.org/

Place to go to donate: http://openmedianow.org/

--

Mvh / Kind regards

Torstein Adolf Winterseth

Tareq Al Jurf
Fedora Ambassador
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
taljurf@fedoraproject.org

Old 01-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Torstein Adolf Winterseth

2010/1/8 Tareq Al Jurf <taljurf@fedoraproject.org>:
> So if gnash is up to date, it will be able to run flash media perfectly?

Today's Gnash will not run SWF version 10 but will run SWF9 and below.
Sadly the newest YouTube uses SWF 10, so Gnash will just show a black
window. Remember to install Gstreamer's ffmpeg codecs and ffmpeg. That
is what Gnash uses to decode the H.264 encoded video which is default
in creating Flash videos.

I am personally really looking forward to SWF 10 support in Gnash, and
I hope Adobe don't do much with Flash as I'd really like Gnash to
catch up and replace the evil Flash Plugin for my usage (mostly
YouTube and random other *cough* sites).

--
Mvh / Kind regards
Torstein Adolf Winterseth

Old 01-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Tareq Al Jurf

So if Gnash catches up with the newest version of flash, we can include in fedora as default, can't we?

Old 01-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Torstein Adolf Winterseth

2010/1/8 Tareq Al Jurf <taljurf@fedoraproject.org>:
> So if Gnash catches up with the newest version of flash, we can include in
> fedora as default, can't we?

I hope so. Sadly Fedora can't include ffmpeg codecs as default or in
their repositories due to software patent laws in certain countries so
YouTube would be inaccessible for everyday users who haven't installed
those codecs from places such as RPMfusion.

--
Mvh / Kind regards
Torstein Adolf Winterseth