-   -   gnome-applets (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-desktop/295861-gnome-applets.html)

Bill Nottingham 12-15-2009 07:37 PM

gnome-applets

Why is this a mandatory package at this stage of the desktop? Unless
I missed something, we don't ship any of these applets in the default
panel config, and it's not required by anything on a normal desktop
install.

Bill

Colin Walters 12-15-2009 07:45 PM

gnome-applets

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> wrote:
> Why is this a mandatory package at this stage of the desktop? Unless
> I missed something, we don't ship any of these applets in the default
> panel config, and it's not required by anything on a normal desktop
> install.

A concern here is there's a big difference between mandatory
(installed by default) and optional (deeply buried, you have to know a
magic package name string to find). We could possibly change the "Add
to Panel" dialog to have a button "Install Popular Applets" which
calls out to PackageKit if we wanted to reduce disk space usage or
whatever I guess.

Ray Strode 12-15-2009 09:49 PM

gnome-applets

Why is this a mandatory package at this stage of the desktop? Unless
I missed something, we don't ship any of these applets in the default
panel config, and it's not required by anything on a normal desktop
install.

Moving it from mandatory to default sounds fine to me (if that's what
you're proposing)

gnome-panel already ships the "mandatory" ones in its tarball.

--Ray

Richard Hughes 12-16-2009 07:35 AM

gnome-applets

2009/12/15 Colin Walters <walters@verbum.org>:
> "Install Popular Applets" which calls out to PackageKit

That would be about 10 lines of code. See
http://packagekit.org/files/session.c for an example.

Richard.

Colin Walters 12-16-2009 05:35 PM

gnome-applets

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Ray Strode <rstrode@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 12/15/2009 03:37 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>>
>> Why is this a mandatory package at this stage of the desktop? Unless
>> I missed something, we don't ship any of these applets in the default
>> panel config, and it's not required by anything on a normal desktop
>> install.
>>

> Moving it from mandatory to default sounds fine to me (if that's what you're
> proposing)

Oh, right; I did jump to the conclusion that the proposal was
mandatory->optional. default seems sane to me too.