Old 12-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Bastien Nocera

Default HAL removal Feature page

Heya,

I've created this page to track the removal of HAL (hopefully) for F13:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/HalRemoval

Could you please check your package and add them to the list if:
- they rely on HAL or libhal
- they rely on gnome-vfs2 (which still requires HAL, and is deprecated)
- they rely on libgnomeui (which requires gnome-vfs2)

We're only tracking Desktop spin applications, and applications you'd
expect to see installed on GNOME desktops.

Cheers

Old 01-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Christoph Wickert

Am Mittwoch, den 09.12.2009, 15:40 +0000 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
> Heya,
>
> I've created this page to track the removal of HAL (hopefully) for F13:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/HalRemoval

You mean remove HAL completely or only from the desktop spin? There is
quite a lot of stuff that still depends on HAL and will not be rewritten
for F13.

If you are intending to remove HAL completely for F13, please announce
it properly to all Fedora developers/maintainers ASAP.

> Could you please check your package and add them to the list if:
> - they rely on HAL or libhal
> - they rely on gnome-vfs2 (which still requires HAL, and is deprecated)
> - they rely on libgnomeui (which requires gnome-vfs2)
>
> We're only tracking Desktop spin applications, and applications you'd
> expect to see installed on GNOME desktops.

So where is the rest being tracked?

> Cheers

Regards,
Christoph

Old 01-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 22:11 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 09.12.2009, 15:40 +0000 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
> > Heya,
> >
> > I've created this page to track the removal of HAL (hopefully) for F13:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/HalRemoval
>
> You mean remove HAL completely or only from the desktop spin? There is
> quite a lot of stuff that still depends on HAL and will not be rewritten
> for F13.

The feature page could harly be clearer:

This feature tracks the removal of HAL in the Fedora Desktop spin.

Removing hal dependencies from the wider package universe will obviously
take a little longer. At some point we'll probably force the issue by
orphaning hal, but we are clearly not at that point yet.

Matthias

Old 01-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Colin Walters

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@redhat.com> wrote:

> Removing hal dependencies from the wider package universe will obviously
> take a little longer. At some point we'll probably force the issue by
> orphaning hal, but we are clearly not at that point yet.

Just to be clear; does this mean that if hal is pulled in, it will
largely function? Say there's some UI tool that does the equivalent
of "lshal".

Old 01-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 17:17 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > Removing hal dependencies from the wider package universe will obviously
> > take a little longer. At some point we'll probably force the issue by
> > orphaning hal, but we are clearly not at that point yet.
>
> Just to be clear; does this mean that if hal is pulled in, it will
> largely function? Say there's some UI tool that does the equivalent
> of "lshal".

Yes.