FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Desktop

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-08-2009, 12:22 AM
Matthias Clasen
 
Default deja-dup Desktop Backup tool

On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 04:38 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there any plans to include a good backup tool for the desktop by
> default? I have put up deja-dup for review if anyone is interested in
> checking it out
>
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=540761
>
> Frontend for duplicity (which uses rsync library and gpg keys for
> encryption) written in Vala. It is a simple backup tool for GNOME and
> integrates with Nautilus bookmarks etc.
>
> Features:
>
> • Support for local or remote backup locations, including Amazon S3
> • Securely encrypts and compresses your data
> • Incrementally backs up, letting you restore from any particular backup
> • Schedules regular backups
> • Integrates well into your GNOME desktop


I certainly consider the lack of integrated backup one of the more
glaring holes in our desktop. For something to be included in the
desktop spin, it needs to be really towards the dead-simple,
plug-in-a-backup-disk side. Not sure how well deja-dup fits into that
category, I've never tried it. But getting it packaged for Fedora is the
right first step in any case. Thanks for doing that !


Matthias


--
Fedora-desktop-list mailing list
Fedora-desktop-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-desktop-list
 
Old 12-08-2009, 12:53 AM
Rahul Sundaram
 
Default deja-dup Desktop Backup tool

On 12/08/2009 06:52 AM, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> I certainly consider the lack of integrated backup one of the more
> glaring holes in our desktop. For something to be included in the
> desktop spin, it needs to be really towards the dead-simple,
> plug-in-a-backup-disk side. Not sure how well deja-dup fits into that
> category, I've never tried it. But getting it packaged for Fedora is the
> right first step in any case. Thanks for doing that !

In case, you want to take a quick look, I have created a scratch build

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=1861894

The upstream developer is now CC'ed in my review request.

Rahul

--
Fedora-desktop-list mailing list
Fedora-desktop-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-desktop-list
 
Old 03-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Matthias Clasen
 
Default deja-dup Desktop Backup tool

On Mon, 2009-12-07 at 20:22 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 04:38 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Are there any plans to include a good backup tool for the desktop by
> > default? I have put up deja-dup for review if anyone is interested in
> > checking it out
> >
> > https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=540761
> >
> > Frontend for duplicity (which uses rsync library and gpg keys for
> > encryption) written in Vala. It is a simple backup tool for GNOME and
> > integrates with Nautilus bookmarks etc.
> >
> > Features:
> >
> > • Support for local or remote backup locations, including Amazon S3
> > • Securely encrypts and compresses your data
> > • Incrementally backs up, letting you restore from any particular backup
> > • Schedules regular backups
> > • Integrates well into your GNOME desktop
>
>
> I certainly consider the lack of integrated backup one of the more
> glaring holes in our desktop. For something to be included in the
> desktop spin, it needs to be really towards the dead-simple,
> plug-in-a-backup-disk side. Not sure how well deja-dup fits into that
> category, I've never tried it. But getting it packaged for Fedora is the
> right first step in any case. Thanks for doing that !


It took a while, but we do have deja-dup in F13 and rawhide now. And I
think it fits pretty well into the category I described here, so I think
we should consider including it. Opinions ?


Matthias

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 03-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Bill Nottingham
 
Default deja-dup Desktop Backup tool

Matthias Clasen (mclasen@redhat.com) said:
> > I certainly consider the lack of integrated backup one of the more
> > glaring holes in our desktop. For something to be included in the
> > desktop spin, it needs to be really towards the dead-simple,
> > plug-in-a-backup-disk side. Not sure how well deja-dup fits into that
> > category, I've never tried it. But getting it packaged for Fedora is the
> > right first step in any case. Thanks for doing that !
>
>
> It took a while, but we do have deja-dup in F13 and rawhide now. And I
> think it fits pretty well into the category I described here, so I think
> we should consider including it. Opinions ?

Has it undergone serious testing? If we toss it in, do we have some
confidence that it will work and be stable? (While I realize we're all
about pushing things forwards in Fedora, we have to take extra care of
people's data.)

Bill
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 03-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Matthias Clasen
 
Default deja-dup Desktop Backup tool

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 11:43 -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Matthias Clasen (mclasen@redhat.com) said:
> > > I certainly consider the lack of integrated backup one of the more
> > > glaring holes in our desktop. For something to be included in the
> > > desktop spin, it needs to be really towards the dead-simple,
> > > plug-in-a-backup-disk side. Not sure how well deja-dup fits into that
> > > category, I've never tried it. But getting it packaged for Fedora is the
> > > right first step in any case. Thanks for doing that !
> >
> >
> > It took a while, but we do have deja-dup in F13 and rawhide now. And I
> > think it fits pretty well into the category I described here, so I think
> > we should consider including it. Opinions ?
>
> Has it undergone serious testing? If we toss it in, do we have some
> confidence that it will work and be stable? (While I realize we're all
> about pushing things forwards in Fedora, we have to take extra care of
> people's data.)

Thats a fair point. I have only done cursory testing of it. Maybe Rahul
can say more about it. I think he said that he's been using it daily for
months...

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 03-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Rahul Sundaram
 
Default deja-dup Desktop Backup tool

On 03/03/2010 10:42 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
> Thats a fair point. I have only done cursory testing of it. Maybe Rahul
> can say more about it. I think he said that he's been using it daily for
> months...
>
>

deja-dup is a frontend to duplicity which has been around for many years
and is a mature and stable software and while I have been using deja-dup
itself for the last several months and restored data using it I can't
claim to have done extensive testing either Perhaps we can discuss
with upstream and put up a test day for this purpose?

Rahul
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 03-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Rahul Sundaram
 
Default deja-dup Desktop Backup tool

On 03/03/2010 10:42 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
> Thats a fair point. I have only done cursory testing of it. Maybe Rahul
> can say more about it. I think he said that he's been using it daily for
> months...
>
>

deja-dup is a frontend to duplicity which has been around for many years
and is a mature and stable software and while I have been using deja-dup
itself for the last several months and restored data using it I can't
claim to have done extensive testing either Perhaps we can discuss
with upstream and put up a test day for this purpose?

Rahul
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 03-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Rahul Sundaram
 
Default deja-dup Desktop Backup tool

On 03/03/2010 10:42 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
> Thats a fair point. I have only done cursory testing of it. Maybe Rahul
> can say more about it. I think he said that he's been using it daily for
> months...
>
>

deja-dup is a frontend to duplicity which has been around for many years
and is a mature and stable software and while I have been using deja-dup
itself for the last several months and restored data using it I can't
claim to have done extensive testing either Perhaps we can discuss
with upstream and put up a test day for this purpose?

Rahul
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 03-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Rahul Sundaram
 
Default deja-dup Desktop Backup tool

On 03/03/2010 10:42 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
> Thats a fair point. I have only done cursory testing of it. Maybe Rahul
> can say more about it. I think he said that he's been using it daily for
> months...
>
>

deja-dup is a frontend to duplicity which has been around for many years
and is a mature and stable software and while I have been using deja-dup
itself for the last several months and restored data using it I can't
claim to have done extensive testing either Perhaps we can discuss
with upstream and put up a test day for this purpose?

Rahul
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 03-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Seth Vidal
 
Default deja-dup Desktop Backup tool

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> On 03/03/2010 10:42 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>>
>> Thats a fair point. I have only done cursory testing of it. Maybe Rahul
>> can say more about it. I think he said that he's been using it daily for
>> months...
>>
>>
>
> deja-dup is a frontend to duplicity which has been around for many years
> and is a mature and stable software and while I have been using deja-dup
> itself for the last several months and restored data using it I can't
> claim to have done extensive testing either Perhaps we can discuss
> with upstream and put up a test day for this purpose?

I've been using duplicity for a loong while now and I've had good success.

I've not used deja-dup, yet - but I intend to try it out shortly.

-sv

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:58 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org