Old 11-24-2009, 04:34 AM
Matthias Clasen

Default cruft removal

Here is a list of some cruft removal tasks that I think we should tackle
for F13:

- Get rid of old Bluecurve icons in fedora-icon-theme. This mainly
affects the OpenOffice icons and the redhat-email and redhat-web icons
which are used by htmlview. The easiest way forward here would be to
simply change the Fedora metatheme to use Mist (or another icon theme)
directly.

- Get rid of leftover cruft in redhat-menus. We still ship
a /usr/share/desktop-menu-patches directory full of desktop files of
which only two seem to still be used (by htmlview). Is anything besides
htmlview still using desktop-menu-patches ?

- Get rid of htmlview. The script as been documented as deprecated since
forever, and it really does not have any benefits over xdg-open or
gvfs-open. It seems to get pulled in by gok (!) in my F12 installation.

Matthias

Old 11-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Matthias Clasen

> Here is a list of some cruft removal tasks that I think we should tackle
> for F13:
>
> - Get rid of old Bluecurve icons in fedora-icon-theme. This mainly
> affects the OpenOffice icons and the redhat-email and redhat-web icons
> which are used by htmlview. The easiest way forward here would be to
> simply change the Fedora metatheme to use Mist (or another icon theme)
> directly.
>
> - Get rid of leftover cruft in redhat-menus. We still ship
> a /usr/share/desktop-menu-patches directory full of desktop files of
> which only two seem to still be used (by htmlview). Is anything besides
> htmlview still using desktop-menu-patches ?
>
> - Get rid of htmlview. The script as been documented as deprecated since
> forever, and it really does not have any benefits over xdg-open or
> gvfs-open. It seems to get pulled in by gok (!) in my F12 installation.

These points are done now. xdg-open obsoletes htmlview, and I just built
redhat-menus without /usr/share-desktop-menu-patches and
fedora-icon-theme without Bluecurve-era icons.

Let me know if anything breaks.

Matthias