Old 11-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Matthias Clasen

Default example content

Hey,

one change we are planning to make to the desktop spin in F13 is to go
from targeting a cd to targeting a 1g usb stick. That will give us
enough breathing room to include not only OpenOffice, but also some
example content on the spin. We've wanted to do that for a long time,
but the cd size restriction have prohibited that.

The example content is meant to serve several purposes:

- Be informative and/or pleasant

- Allow users to try the included apps

- Showcase content that has been produced with open source apps

- Make the desktop spin more useful, e.g. to ambassadors

Examples that might fit some of these categories are:

- Suitably licensed music or movie trailers (big buck bunny has been
mentioned already)

- Spreadsheets or documents that contain interesting facts about Fedora
or open source

- the 1-page release notes pdf that was debuted for F12

The purpose of this mail is to solicit proposals for content that might
fit into these categories. Please send your proposals to
fedora-desktop-list or just reply.

Thanks!

Matthias

Old 11-23-2009, 06:21 PM
"Mathieu Bridon (bochecha)"

Hi,

> The example content is meant to serve several purposes:
<snip>
> - Make the desktop spin more useful, e.g. to ambassadors
<snip>
> - the 1-page release notes pdf that was debuted for F12

To be truely useful for ambassadords, we'd need a localized version

Which means we'll have to regenerate the ISO anyway with our own kickstart.

Anyway, that's a great idea, but what about computers that can't boot
on USB? We see a lot of them (most of them?) in release parties, will
an alternate image be composed that will fit on a CD (even if it's not
marketed any more as THE desktop spin) ?

Old 11-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Sebastian Dziallas

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) wrote:

Hi,

The example content is meant to serve several purposes:

<snip>

- Make the desktop spin more useful, e.g. to ambassadors

<snip>

- the 1-page release notes pdf that was debuted for F12

To be truely useful for ambassadords, we'd need a localized version

Which means we'll have to regenerate the ISO anyway with our own kickstart.

Anyway, that's a great idea, but what about computers that can't boot
on USB? We see a lot of them (most of them?) in release parties, will
an alternate image be composed that will fit on a CD (even if it's not
marketed any more as THE desktop spin) ?

For Sugar on a Stick, we've been using a hacked up image which could be
burned to a CD and included not much more than the isolinux contents.
When booting from the CD while having your USB key plugged in, it was
still able to boot. But still: really hack-ish and probably not really
recommendable (just sayin').

Oh, and Matthias, it's really a cool plan to move into this direction!

We've been following such a distribution model obviously for the
(Fedora-based) Sugar on a Stick, too. Would be interesting to see and
probably work together on issues that arise, if any.

--Sebastian

Old 11-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Bill Nottingham

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) (bochecha@fedoraproject.org) said:
> > The example content is meant to serve several purposes:
> <snip>
> > - Make the desktop spin more useful, e.g. to ambassadors
> <snip>
> > - the 1-page release notes pdf that was debuted for F12
>
> To be truely useful for ambassadords, we'd need a localized version
>
> Which means we'll have to regenerate the ISO anyway with our own kickstart.

The Live image already has support for multiple locales, and should
support passing them on the commandline. Anyone up for making a graphical
language menu in syslinux?

Bill

Old 11-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Bill Nottingham

Old 11-23-2009, 06:44 PM
"Mathieu Bridon (bochecha)"

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 20:37, Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> wrote:
> Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) (bochecha@fedoraproject.org) said:
>> > The example content is meant to serve several purposes:
>> <snip>
>> > - Make the desktop spin more useful, e.g. to ambassadors
>> <snip>
>> > - the 1-page release notes pdf that was debuted for F12
>>
>> To be truely useful for ambassadords, we'd need a localized version
>>
>> Which means we'll have to regenerate the ISO anyway with our own kickstart.
>
> The Live image already has support for multiple locales, and should
> support passing them on the commandline. Anyone up for making a graphical
> language menu in syslinux?

But the one page relnotes are PDF right ? Not sure gettext handles PDF
files, which means either the spin ships the relnotes in all locales
or we make localized spins, each one with the local PDF.

Or did I miss something ?

Old 11-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 11/24/2009 01:23 AM, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 7:51 PM, John Poelstra <poelstra@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Does this mean that there will no longer be a bootable Live CD? Assuming
>> this is the case, wow will this affect the media we give away at shows?
>
> Is show media typically CD or is it DVD? Can it be DVD for most
> cases, or would that be problematic?

Historically it has been Live CD's mostly. Most cases, I think we can
move to DVD's.

Rahul

Old 11-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Colin Walters