Old 11-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Tareq Al Jurf

Default We can make fedora easier

Hi all
I think that we should change somethings in fedora that would make it
easier.

Things that whenever a new person starts fedora for the first time would
change them.
For example whenever i start fedora for the first time i change the behavior
of the folders and make them open in browser

can we make that default? Because i think most people do that.

Regards
--
Tareq Al Jurf
Fedora Ambassador

Old 11-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Adrin Jalali

+1 yes, nautilus

--

Josephine "Fine" Tannhäuser

2.6.18-164.2.1.el5 2.6.30.9-90.fc11.i586

Old 11-17-2009, 12:10 PM
William Jon McCann

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Tareq Al Jurf
<taljurf@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hi all
> I think that we should change somethings in fedora that would make it
> easier.
> Things that whenever a new person starts fedora for the first time would
> change them.
> For example whenever i start fedora for the first time i change the behavior
> of the folders and make them open in browser
> can we make that default? Because i think most people do that.

Yes, I agree.

Jon

Old 11-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Bastien Nocera

On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 14:26 +0100, Josephine Tannhäuser wrote:
> mh, open a bug give the link here and you all should vote for a +1 in
> the bugreport!

That's not how it works.

Jon will be making the case for this change upstream with the reasoning
behind the decision, and then that change will be made in our version of
the packages.

You don't get to vote on design decisions (or in the Fedora or GNOME
bugzillas for that matter)

Old 11-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Dan Williams

On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 11:06 -0200, Claudio Penasio Junior wrote:
> I do the same, everytime.

And I leave it the way it is (spatial)... it's just what you're used to
and that's different for everyone.

Dan

Old 11-18-2009, 12:11 AM
Rui Tiago Cação Matos

2009/11/17 William Jon McCann <william.jon.mccann@gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Tareq Al Jurf
> <taljurf@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> Hi all
>> I think that we should change somethings in fedora that would make it
>> easier.
>> Things that whenever a new person starts fedora for the first time would
>> change them.
>> For example whenever i start fedora for the first time i change the behavior
>> of the folders and make them open in browser
>> can we make that default? Because i think most people do that.
>
> Yes, I agree.

I prefer spatial, but there's one thing I miss from browser mode: the
places sidebar. It's just very handy to be able to open and drag
things into your devices/bookmarks.

But changing completely to full browser mode without rethinking that
interface is not a good move IMHO. Browser windows feel too clunky
with all those buttons in *two* toolbars. There were some mockups on
planet Gnome that looked nice and maybe it could be interesting to
play with them, basically simplifying the interface.

For instance, the places sidebar is (to me) clearly desirable to have
there all the time in spatial mode. But the dropdown to choose the
other sidebars could be eliminated. Maybe the tree sidebar could be
the default for browser mode[1]? All the others are better provided
either in a dynamically created right sidebar or elsewhere (notes and
emblems are already in each item's preferences).

And of course, all this should be judged with the way gnome-shell
works and how it provides (or doesn't) easy access to the relevant
places in the filesystem.

Rui

[1] And still, users which crave for the Windows Explorer tree view
will feel disappointed I think...

Old 11-18-2009, 06:58 AM
Tareq Al Jurf

2009/11/18 Rui Tiago Cação Matos <tiagomatos@gmail.com>

2009/11/17 William Jon McCann <william.jon.mccann@gmail.com>:

> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Tareq Al Jurf

> <taljurf@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>> Hi all

>> I think that we should change somethings in fedora that would make it

>> easier.

>> Things that whenever a new person starts fedora for the first time would

>> change them.

>> For example whenever i start fedora for the first time i change the behavior

>> of the folders and make them open in browser

>> can we make that default? Because i think most people do that.

> Yes, I agree.

I prefer spatial, but there's one thing I miss from browser mode: the

places sidebar. It's just very handy to be able to open and drag

things into your devices/bookmarks.
In spitial mode don't you feel that it's annoying to open each folder in a new window?If we could make that optional, I mean to be able to use spitial mode with a new option which enables you to open folders in the same window. And make the default mode is to open folders in the same window.

But changing completely to full browser mode without rethinking that

interface is not a good move IMHO. Browser windows feel too clunky

with all those buttons in *two* toolbars. There were some mockups on

planet Gnome that looked nice and maybe it could be interesting to

play with them, basically simplifying the interface.*

For instance, the places sidebar is (to me) clearly desirable to have

there all the time in spatial mode. But the dropdown to choose the

other sidebars could be eliminated. Maybe the tree sidebar could be

the default for browser mode[1]? All the others are better provided

either in a dynamically created right sidebar or elsewhere (notes and

emblems are already in each item's preferences).It would be great if we can modify the spatial mode, can we (since im not a programmer)*

*
And of course, all this should be judged with the way gnome-shell

works and how it provides (or doesn't) easy access to the relevant

places in the filesystem.
Of course, if someone has any idea about this please inform us*

Old 11-18-2009, 07:40 AM
Adam Williamson

On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 10:58 +0300, Tareq Al Jurf wrote:

> In spitial mode don't you feel that it's annoying to open each folder
> in a new window?
> If we could make that optional, I mean to be able to use spitial mode
> with a new option which enables you to open folders in the same
> window. And make the default mode is to open folders in the same
> window.

That, um, wouldn't be spatial.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 11-18-2009, 08:32 AM
Rui Tiago Cação Matos

On 18/11/2009, Tareq Al Jurf <taljurf@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> In spatial mode don't you feel that it's annoying to open each folder in a
> new window?

No. It works great for me. Knowing the keyboard shortcuts helps and
after being used to it I don't want to go back.

But I can see how people don't like it, especially after having used
Windows. They are just used to a certain way of working which is
totally fine and understandable. If the default just changes to
browser I'll happily change the setting for me.

Rui