Old 11-06-2009, 04:03 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

Default Is it, or isn't it?

http://identi.ca/notice/13932136

Matthias, Jon, et al., I'm interested in your take on the above, so I
can authentically characterize the work you've done on notification
theming.

Paul

Old 11-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Adam Williamson

On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 12:03 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> http://identi.ca/notice/13932136
>
> Matthias, Jon, et al., I'm interested in your take on the above, so I
> can authentically characterize the work you've done on notification
> theming.

wow! they are both dark with rounded corners!

perhaps we can politely point out how much 'imitation' ubuntu does of
fedora?

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 11-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Lars Herrmann

Am Freitag, den 06.11.2009, 09:12 -0800 schrieb Adam Williamson:
> On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 12:03 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > http://identi.ca/notice/13932136
> >
> > Matthias, Jon, et al., I'm interested in your take on the above, so I
> > can authentically characterize the work you've done on notification
> > theming.
>
> wow! they are both dark with rounded corners!
>
> perhaps we can politely point out how much 'imitation' ubuntu does of
> fedora?

If google can get a design patent for their website layout, why should
ubuntu not claim dark with rounded corners "their" invention ?

should somebody maybe blog about prior art ?

Old 11-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 12:03 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> http://identi.ca/notice/13932136
>
> Matthias, Jon, et al., I'm interested in your take on the above, so I
> can authentically characterize the work you've done on notification
> theming.

They are similar, I grant you that.
But the original is a 'growl' on OS X, I believe.
And indeed, imitation _is_ the sincerest form of flattery :-)

Old 11-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Adam Williamson

On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 12:18 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 12:03 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > http://identi.ca/notice/13932136
> >
> > Matthias, Jon, et al., I'm interested in your take on the above, so I
> > can authentically characterize the work you've done on notification
> > theming.
>
> They are similar, I grant you that.
> But the original is a 'growl' on OS X, I believe.
> And indeed, imitation _is_ the sincerest form of flattery :-)

have some 'dent' back with a link to a screenshot of the growl in
question and the text just 'indeed it is'? too obtuse?

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 11-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Bastien Nocera

> On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 12:18 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 12:03 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > > http://identi.ca/notice/13932136
> > >
> > > Matthias, Jon, et al., I'm interested in your take on the above, so I
> > > can authentically characterize the work you've done on notification
> > > theming.
> >
> > They are similar, I grant you that.
> > But the original is a 'growl' on OS X, I believe.
> > And indeed, imitation _is_ the sincerest form of flattery :-)
>
> have some 'dent' back with a link to a screenshot of the growl in
> question and the text just 'indeed it is'? too obtuse?

Something like that:
http://wincent.com/a/about/wincent/weblog/growl-notifications.png

Even if those notifications look quite alike, they're not implemented
the same way. One is a theme to the notification-daemon, and can be
replaced, the other one is a complete reimplementation.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Will Woods

On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 12:03 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> http://identi.ca/notice/13932136
>
> Matthias, Jon, et al., I'm interested in your take on the above, so I
> can authentically characterize the work you've done on notification
> theming.

But yeah, the Growl notification system for Mac OS X has had
notification windows like this since 2005 - maybe earlier.

Smoke notification style, bottom of http://growl.info/screenshots.php

May '05: Growl 0.7 adds a mouseover effect for Smoke:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24638&vid=206464&mode=info
Jan '07: 3rd-party screenshots show it in wide use, e.g.:
http://www.tribler.org/trac/wiki/Growl
Dec '08: Initial design discussions of Ubuntu NotifyOSD
http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/253
Feb '09: NotifyOSD wiki page created
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NotifyOSD?action=recall&rev=1

At this point it's old enough to almost be a visual cliché. But if
someone wants to insist on giving credit for the design that's where I'd
think the credit might be due.

-w

Old 11-06-2009, 05:01 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 05:43:27PM +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 09:29 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:

> > > They are similar, I grant you that.
> > > But the original is a 'growl' on OS X, I believe.
> > > And indeed, imitation _is_ the sincerest form of flattery :-)
> >
> > have some 'dent' back with a link to a screenshot of the growl in
> > question and the text just 'indeed it is'? too obtuse?
>
> Something like that:
> http://wincent.com/a/about/wincent/weblog/growl-notifications.png
>
> Even if those notifications look quite alike, they're not implemented
> the same way. One is a theme to the notification-daemon, and can be
> replaced, the other one is a complete reimplementation.

Trying to keep things on the high road:

http://identi.ca/notice/13957006