Old 11-06-2009, 08:10 AM
Nicu Buculei

Default Desktop Live DVD: diff

On 11/05/2009 10:34 PM, David Zeuthen wrote:

Also, no-one says we _must_ include useless crap or even use all of the
space. And no-one says the space we're going to use is to be used for
software. I've advocated earlier that we should try and promote things
like Ogg Theora. For example, we could include

http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/

+ 1 million

I'm not sure I like the idea, if the idea is 'stop doing a small
functional live image and make our smallest 'complete-out-of-the-box'
image 2GB big'.

No one says the desktop image should be "our smallest
'complete-out-of-the-box' image". In fact, I think it would be a mistake
to say it should be.

How about a middle ground? Most of the people will just try and see what
is about, they will not use write overlay, so we can target the image at
1 GB (999 MB), to cover their case. Advanced users, who will made use of
the write overlay, will surely write the image on a 2GB or large drive,
having the option to set the overlay as large as they want and the
possibility to throw in other useful things, like a persistent home.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:40 AM
onkar mirajkar

Hi,
Few days back I created a Ubnutu live USB. But I recognize that its not good for my day to day use as it doesnot allow me to add my own packages like VLC.
Is this a general problem with all Live USB as there are live dvd creator which allows me to add my own packages.
I think its good idea to add this feature as USB is read wirte device not read only like DVD so that user can install their own software and customize thier live USB.
Thanks,
Onkar

*

Old 11-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Nicu Buculei

Few days back I created a Ubnutu live USB. But I recognize that its not
good for my day to day use as it doesnot allow me to add my own packages
like VLC.
Is this a general problem with all Live USB as there are live dvd
creator which allows me to add my own packages.
I think its good idea to add this feature as USB is read wirte device
not read only like DVD so that user can install their own software and
customize thier live USB.

When you are witting a Fedora image on an USB device you have the option
to add "live persistence", so if you install or update applications, the
changes will be written. For this you will have to copy the image using
the livecd-iso-to-disk script or the equivalent GUI (i.e. not with dd).