Old 10-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Martin Sourada

Default Transparency on the new tooltips not working in Firefox?

> I haven't rebooted yet, but I've noticed the new tooltips are showing up
> in newly-launched apps for me. Oddly, I can see the transparency in
> Rhythmbox - I can partially see through the tooltip to rest of the
> Rhythmbox interface 'below' - but not Firefox. The tooltips in Firefox
> appear completely opaque. Just thought it was an oddity worth
> mentioning.

Indeed, I can confirm the firefox seem to use engine rendered tooltips.
WebKit based browsers (I've tested midori and chromium) use the
refreshed ones.

Maybe firefox bypases gtk and calls the engine functions itself for
tooltips -- after all, it just emulates gtk...

Martin

Old 10-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Adam Williamson

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 21:02 +0100, Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 12:52 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > I haven't rebooted yet, but I've noticed the new tooltips are showing up
> > in newly-launched apps for me. Oddly, I can see the transparency in
> > Rhythmbox - I can partially see through the tooltip to rest of the
> > Rhythmbox interface 'below' - but not Firefox. The tooltips in Firefox
> > appear completely opaque. Just thought it was an oddity worth
> > mentioning.
> >
> Indeed, I can confirm the firefox seem to use engine rendered tooltips.
> WebKit based browsers (I've tested midori and chromium) use the
> refreshed ones.
>
> Maybe firefox bypases gtk and calls the engine functions itself for
> tooltips -- after all, it just emulates gtk...

Right, I forgot that. Well, if it's all down to Firefox's weirdness I
guess there's not much to do about it...

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 10-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 21:02 +0100, Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 12:52 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > I haven't rebooted yet, but I've noticed the new tooltips are showing up
> > in newly-launched apps for me. Oddly, I can see the transparency in
> > Rhythmbox - I can partially see through the tooltip to rest of the
> > Rhythmbox interface 'below' - but not Firefox. The tooltips in Firefox
> > appear completely opaque. Just thought it was an oddity worth
> > mentioning.
> >
> Indeed, I can confirm the firefox seem to use engine rendered tooltips.
> WebKit based browsers (I've tested midori and chromium) use the
> refreshed ones.
>
> Maybe firefox bypases gtk and calls the engine functions itself for
> tooltips -- after all, it just emulates gtk...

Both firefox and OpenOffice have their own tooltip implementations and
just use GTK+ theme colors. I have hope to get that fixed at least for
OpenOffice.

Matthias

Old 10-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Caolán McNamara

> Both firefox and OpenOffice have their own tooltip implementations and
> just use GTK+ theme colors. I have hope to get that fixed at least for
> OpenOffice.

They both (well I only checked OOo, but FF is pretty much the same
thing) basically call...

gtk_paint_flat_box( GtkTooltipWidget->style,
target_drawable,
GTK_STATE_NORMAL,
GTK_SHADOW_OUT,
&clipRect,
GtkTooltipWidget,
"tooltip",
x, y, w, h );

(see vcl/unx/gtk/gdi/salnativewidgets-gtk.cxx)

to ask gtk to render the tooltip widget (as it does for the other
widgets), but the new tooltip sniffyness is in gtk's
gtk_tooltip_paint_window, a level above the gtk_paint_flat_box so its
unavailable to OOo/FF. I don't see a straightforward fix.

C.