Old 03-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Max Spevack

Default liveusb-creator on Live CD?

Hi team,

One of the suggestions that we received at the Fedora booth this past
weekend at Chemnitzer Linux Tage was to add liveusb-creator to the
default pacakge set for both the Desktop Live CD and the DVD.

Since the package manifest for the Desktop Live CD is the responsibility
of this team, I wanted to forward the suggestion on.

The package is quite small, and I don't *think* it pulls in any
dependencies that aren't already part of the spin.

Thanks,
Max

Old 03-18-2009, 12:20 PM
"Gerold"

> Hi team,
>
> One of the suggestions that we received at the Fedora booth this past
> weekend at Chemnitzer Linux Tage was to add liveusb-creator to the
> default pacakge set for both the Desktop Live CD and the DVD.
^^
to be honest or re-ask the question as a "model" himself:
- Create a Live-medium out of a live medium?
-- Does this makes really sense?
-- where to store the ISO for creating a Live medium?
--- on the HDD of the not touched system? remeber, it's a live booted system
--- on the CD? How???
--- on the DvD? How???

:-)

> Since the package manifest for the Desktop Live CD is the responsibility
> of this team, I wanted to forward the suggestion on.
>
> The package is quite small, and I don't *think* it pulls in any
> dependencies that aren't already part of the spin.
>
> Thanks,
> Max
^^
Just my thoughts in that issue

kindly yours

Gerold

Old 03-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Jeremy Katz

On Wednesday, March 18 2009, Max Spevack said:
> One of the suggestions that we received at the Fedora booth this past
> weekend at Chemnitzer Linux Tage was to add liveusb-creator to the
> default pacakge set for both the Desktop Live CD and the DVD.
>
> Since the package manifest for the Desktop Live CD is the responsibility
> of this team, I wanted to forward the suggestion on.
>
> The package is quite small, and I don't *think* it pulls in any
> dependencies that aren't already part of the spin.

liveusb-creator uses PyQt for its UI and thus ends up pulling in the QT
stack. Which isn't on the livecd at present and isn't small.

Jeremy

Old 03-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Rex Dieter

Jeremy Katz wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 18 2009, Max Spevack said:
>> One of the suggestions that we received at the Fedora booth this past
>> weekend at Chemnitzer Linux Tage was to add liveusb-creator to the
>> default pacakge set for both the Desktop Live CD and the DVD.
>>
>> Since the package manifest for the Desktop Live CD is the responsibility
>> of this team, I wanted to forward the suggestion on.
>>
>> The package is quite small, and I don't *think* it pulls in any
>> dependencies that aren't already part of the spin.
>
> liveusb-creator uses PyQt for its UI and thus ends up pulling in the QT
> stack. Which isn't on the livecd at present and isn't small.

It's on the kde spin, since we can afford to do it.

Wasn't someone working on a pygtk interface? (or maybe senility sinking in,
and I'm imagining things)...

-- Rex

Old 03-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Jesse Keating

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 14:20 +0100, Gerold wrote:
> to be honest or re-ask the question as a "model" himself:
> - Create a Live-medium out of a live medium?

Given that the Live images are also installable, this would be useful
not just when running live, but also post-installation.

> -- Does this makes really sense?

Yes.

> -- where to store the ISO for creating a Live medium?

In memory or on the persistent overlay, or wherever once installed.

> --- on the HDD of the not touched system? remeber, it's a live booted
> system

Not always.

> --- on the CD? How???
> --- on the DvD? How???

A perhaps useful mode would be to have live-*-creator be able to use the
running live image as the source for installing to USB.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE (http://jkeating.livejournal.com)
Fedora Project (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating)

Old 03-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Jeremy Katz

On Wednesday, March 18 2009, Jesse Keating said:
> A perhaps useful mode would be to have live-*-creator be able to use the
> running live image as the source for installing to USB.

livecd-iso-to-disk actually can already do this I think, although it's a
little horky and not necessarily obvious how to do so

Jeremy