Old 03-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Default xguest in the live cd

Hi,

Since the previous thread seems to be getting ignored, can someone from
the desktop team, let me know what you think of this? It would be nice
to a guest user by default on the live cd. We can get some feedback, if
we make this happen by Fedora 11 beta release.

Rahul

Old 03-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Matthias Clasen

> Hi,
>
> Since the previous thread seems to be getting ignored, can someone from
> the desktop team, let me know what you think of this? It would be nice
> to a guest user by default on the live cd. We can get some feedback, if
> we make this happen by Fedora 11 beta release.

I don't see why not. But then, I also don't see much point in having a
guest account on a live cd.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Matthias Clasen wrote:

Since the previous thread seems to be getting ignored, can someone from
the desktop team, let me know what you think of this? It would be nice
to a guest user by default on the live cd. We can get some feedback, if
we make this happen by Fedora 11 beta release.

I don't see why not. But then, I also don't see much point in having a
guest account on a live cd.

It won't be that useful as a live cd as such but since we are
recommending the desktop live cd as the primary point of entry for new
users at http://get.fedoraproject.org/, it would be quite useful for
desktop users once people use the live cd to install them to their hard
disk, I think.

Rahul

Old 03-11-2009, 12:45 AM
Matthias Clasen

> It won't be that useful as a live cd as such but since we are
> recommending the desktop live cd as the primary point of entry for new
> users at http://get.fedoraproject.org/, it would be quite useful for
> desktop users once people use the live cd to install them to their hard
> disk, I think.

Fair enough. I'm sure people will bitch about this poking unasked wholes
in their system security.

What do others think ?

Old 03-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Jeremy Katz

On Tuesday, March 10 2009, Matthias Clasen said:
> On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 06:46 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > It won't be that useful as a live cd as such but since we are
> > recommending the desktop live cd as the primary point of entry for new
> > users at http://get.fedoraproject.org/, it would be quite useful for
> > desktop users once people use the live cd to install them to their hard
> > disk, I think.
>
> Fair enough. I'm sure people will bitch about this poking unasked wholes
> in their system security.
>
> What do others think ?

I think making xguest more accessible is a Good Thing (tm) and that
having it in the live images/installed by default is a part of that.
But the other part is perhaps the "how do I make it easy to turn off" --
right now, that involves removing the package afaik. Having it be an
easy "turn off the account in system-config-users[1]" would probably
make it even more awesome.

That said, let's put it in the beta and see what more people think :-)
Worst case is we get some xguest testing with the beta (which isn't bad
either)

Jeremy

[1] Or whatever tool we're saying is used for graphically
adding/removing users today

Old 03-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 09:40 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 10 2009, Matthias Clasen said:
> > On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 06:46 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > > It won't be that useful as a live cd as such but since we are
> > > recommending the desktop live cd as the primary point of entry for new
> > > users at http://get.fedoraproject.org/, it would be quite useful for
> > > desktop users once people use the live cd to install them to their hard
> > > disk, I think.
> >
> > Fair enough. I'm sure people will bitch about this poking unasked wholes
> > in their system security.
> >
> > What do others think ?
>
> I think making xguest more accessible is a Good Thing (tm) and that
> having it in the live images/installed by default is a part of that.
> But the other part is perhaps the "how do I make it easy to turn off" --
> right now, that involves removing the package afaik. Having it be an
> easy "turn off the account in system-config-users[1]" would probably
> make it even more awesome.
>
> That said, let's put it in the beta and see what more people think :-)
> Worst case is we get some xguest testing with the beta (which isn't bad
> either)

Can you add a +xguest to fedora-livecd-desktop.ks ? For some reason I
seem to have lost my git fu there...

Old 03-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Jeremy Katz

On Wednesday, March 11 2009, Matthias Clasen said:
> On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 09:40 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > >
> > > Fair enough. I'm sure people will bitch about this poking unasked wholes
> > > in their system security.
> > >
> > > What do others think ?
> >
> > I think making xguest more accessible is a Good Thing (tm) and that
> > having it in the live images/installed by default is a part of that.
> > But the other part is perhaps the "how do I make it easy to turn off" --
> > right now, that involves removing the package afaik. Having it be an
> > easy "turn off the account in system-config-users[1]" would probably
> > make it even more awesome.
> >
> > That said, let's put it in the beta and see what more people think :-)
> > Worst case is we get some xguest testing with the beta (which isn't bad
> > either)
>
> Can you add a +xguest to fedora-livecd-desktop.ks ? For some reason I
> seem to have lost my git fu there...

Done. Will make sure with kanarip/f13 that it doesn't need to be on the
branch and if so, will get it merged over also.

Jeremy

Old 03-12-2009, 12:45 AM
Matthias Clasen

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 15:14 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> > > That said, let's put it in the beta and see what more people think :-)
> > > Worst case is we get some xguest testing with the beta (which isn't bad
> > > either)
> >
> > Can you add a +xguest to fedora-livecd-desktop.ks ? For some reason I
> > seem to have lost my git fu there...
>
> Done. Will make sure with kanarip/f13 that it doesn't need to be on the
> branch and if so, will get it merged over also.

Thanks, Jeremy.

It might also be worthwhile to make sure that this gets mentioned in the
beta release notes, together with some hints for how to turn it off (rpm
-e xguest or userdel xguest).

Old 03-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Matthias Clasen wrote:

That said, let's put it in the beta and see what more people think :-)
Worst case is we get some xguest testing with the beta (which isn't bad
either)

Can you add a +xguest to fedora-livecd-desktop.ks ? For some reason I
seem to have lost my git fu there...

Done. Will make sure with kanarip/f13 that it doesn't need to be on the
branch and if so, will get it merged over also.

Thanks, Jeremy.

It might also be worthwhile to make sure that this gets mentioned in the
beta release notes, together with some hints for how to turn it off (rpm
-e xguest or userdel xguest).

I have added the release notes at

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_Beta_release_notes#Desktop_Guest_User

You might want to consider including xguest by default in the Fedora DVD
image as well. Jesse Keating?

Rahul

Old 03-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Jesse Keating

> I have added the release notes at
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_Beta_release_notes#Desktop_Guest_User
>
> You might want to consider including xguest by default in the Fedora
> DVD
> image as well. Jesse Keating?

Getting it on the install media should be as easy as making it a default
in one of the comps groups.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!