Old 02-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Default xguest by default?

Hi,

xguest provides kiosk mode/ guest user functionality that is very useful
for desktop users. xguest has been available in the repository for a few
releases but has little exposure since it is not included by default.
Can we consider including it by default in the live cd and perhaps the
DVD image as well? It currently works only with GDM.

Rahul

Old 02-25-2009, 05:56 AM
Jon Stanley

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> xguest provides kiosk mode/ guest user functionality that is very useful for
> desktop users. xguest has been available in the repository for a few

How do you figure it's useful? I can only imagine the bug reports -
"all my settings disappear when I log out!" "my wireless key keeps
getting forgotten!" (insert any number of other complaints due to lack
of understanding of what's going on here).

Also, it requires SELinux to be in enforcing mode in order to do it's
magic - according to smolt, we're at 54.8% of systems with SELinux
enforcing (notwithstanding that smolt is obviously not an
authoritative source of data, simply putting a stake in the ground
here).

Also, such an item would require exposure and testing. Feature freeze
for Fedora 11 is under a week away.

While it's useful to me for shows and whatnot when I want to leave my
computer for anyone to play around with, I fail to see the general use
case for such a thing.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:26 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Jon Stanley wrote:

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Rahul Sundaram
xguest provides kiosk mode/ guest user functionality that is very useful for
desktop users. xguest has been available in the repository for a few

How do you figure it's useful? I can only imagine the bug reports -
"all my settings disappear when I log out!" "my wireless key keeps
getting forgotten!" (insert any number of other complaints due to lack
of understanding of what's going on here).

Guest user facility is a standard feature is systems like Vista, OS X or
even Ubuntu recently. I demo'ed this feature recently to some users who
very much liked it.

Also, it requires SELinux to be in enforcing mode in order to do it's
magic - according to smolt, we're at 54.8% of systems with SELinux
enforcing (notwithstanding that smolt is obviously not an
authoritative source of data, simply putting a stake in the ground
here).

Not only is it not authoritative, it is wrong since it was collecting
incorrect information due to some bug IIRC

Also, such an item would require exposure and testing. Feature freeze
for Fedora 11 is under a week away.

Feature freeze doesn't determine testing and xguest is not a new feature.

Rahul

Old 02-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Bill Nottingham

Rahul Sundaram (sundaram@fedoraproject.org) said:
> xguest provides kiosk mode/ guest user functionality that is very useful
> for desktop users. xguest has been available in the repository for a few
> releases but has little exposure since it is not included by default.
> Can we consider including it by default in the live cd and perhaps the
> DVD image as well? It currently works only with GDM.

My understanding of xguest is that it affects non-xguest users due to
its machinations of /tmp.

Bill

Old 02-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Rahul Sundaram (sundaram@fedoraproject.org) said:
xguest provides kiosk mode/ guest user functionality that is very useful
for desktop users. xguest has been available in the repository for a few
releases but has little exposure since it is not included by default.
Can we consider including it by default in the live cd and perhaps the
DVD image as well? It currently works only with GDM.

My understanding of xguest is that it affects non-xguest users due to
its machinations of /tmp.

CC'ing Dan Walsh.

Rahul

Old 03-08-2009, 06:55 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Daniel J Walsh wrote:

xguest does not affect other users.

Only the xguest user will mount tmpfs on his version of /tmp.

Of course other users will not be able to see files created by the
xguest user in /tmp (Or /home/xguest or /var/tmp)

I don't see any reason xguest should not be installed by default.

Excellent. Can I get the opinions of folks in the desktop team? I would
like to see xguest by default in the Fedora 11 Beta Live cd.

Rahul