Old 01-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Default Plymouth and re-branding

Hi,

During bootup, plymouth shows "Fedora 10" at the end of the progress bar
half way through and replacing it, requires replacing fedora-release and
rebuilding the initrd which doesn't work very well in a live cd. Details at

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/fedora-spins/2008-December/000336.html

It would be helpful for remixes if we could avoid branding. Do I file a
bug report on that?

Rahul

Old 01-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Bill Nottingham

yRahul Sundaram (sundaram@fedoraproject.org) said:
> During bootup, plymouth shows "Fedora 10" at the end of the progress bar
> half way through and replacing it, requires replacing fedora-release and
> rebuilding the initrd which doesn't work very well in a live cd. Details
> at
>
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/fedora-spins/2008-December/000336.html
>
> It would be helpful for remixes if we could avoid branding. Do I file a
> bug report on that?

It pulls the information from /etc/fedora-release - there's nothing to
do in plymouth itself. If your /etc/fedora-release comes from a correctly
rebranded package, the right thing should happen.

Bill

Old 01-05-2009, 03:16 PM
seth vidal

> yRahul Sundaram (sundaram@fedoraproject.org) said:
> > During bootup, plymouth shows "Fedora 10" at the end of the progress bar
> > half way through and replacing it, requires replacing fedora-release and
> > rebuilding the initrd which doesn't work very well in a live cd. Details
> > at
> >
> > http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/fedora-spins/2008-December/000336.html
> >
> > It would be helpful for remixes if we could avoid branding. Do I file a
> > bug report on that?
>
> It pulls the information from /etc/fedora-release - there's nothing to
> do in plymouth itself. If your /etc/fedora-release comes from a correctly
> rebranded package, the right thing should happen.

Does it hardcode that filename to look for?

-sv

Old 01-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Bill Nottingham

seth vidal (skvidal@fedoraproject.org) said:
> > It pulls the information from /etc/fedora-release - there's nothing to
> > do in plymouth itself. If your /etc/fedora-release comes from a correctly
> > rebranded package, the right thing should happen.
>
> Does it hardcode that filename to look for?

It hardcodes /etc/system-release, actually.

Bill

Old 01-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Bill Nottingham wrote:
yRahul Sundaram (sundaram@fedoraproject.org) said:
During bootup, plymouth shows "Fedora 10" at the end of the progress bar
half way through and replacing it, requires replacing fedora-release and
rebuilding the initrd which doesn't work very well in a live cd. Details
at

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/fedora-spins/2008-December/000336.html

It would be helpful for remixes if we could avoid branding. Do I file a
bug report on that?

It pulls the information from /etc/fedora-release - there's nothing to
do in plymouth itself. If your /etc/fedora-release comes from a correctly
rebranded package, the right thing should happen.

Well, here is the thing. I run sed on /etc/fedora-release, I get a
rebranded distro everywhere except for plymouth which already has picked
up the name and won't let it go. Now I did replace fedora-release with
my own foo-release but then I realized, I have to maintain my own
repository now as well inorder to not break the upgrade path. I would
like to avoid doing that by just not having Plymouth display that text
at all.

Rahul

Old 01-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Bill Nottingham

Rahul Sundaram (sundaram@fedoraproject.org) said:
>> It pulls the information from /etc/fedora-release - there's nothing to
>> do in plymouth itself. If your /etc/fedora-release comes from a correctly
>> rebranded package, the right thing should happen.
>
> Well, here is the thing. I run sed on /etc/fedora-release, I get a
> rebranded distro everywhere except for plymouth which already has picked
> up the name and won't let it go. Now I did replace fedora-release with
> my own foo-release but then I realized, I have to maintain my own
> repository now as well inorder to not break the upgrade path. I would
> like to avoid doing that by just not having Plymouth display that text
> at all.

Running 'sed' on distribution provided files seems like a bad way
to go about it. What if fedora-release gets updated upstream?

(That being said, you could certainly do a trigger to do the sed
at the right point after the package gets installed.)

Bill

Old 01-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Rahul Sundaram (sundaram@fedoraproject.org) said:

It pulls the information from /etc/fedora-release - there's nothing to
do in plymouth itself. If your /etc/fedora-release comes from a correctly
rebranded package, the right thing should happen.
Well, here is the thing. I run sed on /etc/fedora-release, I get a
rebranded distro everywhere except for plymouth which already has picked
up the name and won't let it go. Now I did replace fedora-release with
my own foo-release but then I realized, I have to maintain my own
repository now as well inorder to not break the upgrade path. I would
like to avoid doing that by just not having Plymouth display that text
at all.

Running 'sed' on distribution provided files seems like a bad way
to go about it. What if fedora-release gets updated upstream?

That has never happened really. I would like to avoid introducing my own
packages into the compose as much as possible and this seems to be the
best way to do it but I would take any good suggestions.

(That being said, you could certainly do a trigger to do the sed
at the right point after the package gets installed.)

I tried that and Plymouth still displays the old text when booting up as
a live cd and only gets the new text, post installation. If you figure
out a way to do it, let me know. I tried a few things and never managed
to get it right.

Rahul

Old 01-05-2009, 03:32 PM
seth vidal

> seth vidal (skvidal@fedoraproject.org) said:
> > > It pulls the information from /etc/fedora-release - there's nothing to
> > > do in plymouth itself. If your /etc/fedora-release comes from a correctly
> > > rebranded package, the right thing should happen.
> >
> > Does it hardcode that filename to look for?
>
> It hardcodes /etc/system-release, actually.

okay, cool - that makes sense.
-sv

Old 01-05-2009, 03:33 PM
seth vidal

> Rahul Sundaram (sundaram@fedoraproject.org) said:
> >> It pulls the information from /etc/fedora-release - there's nothing to
> >> do in plymouth itself. If your /etc/fedora-release comes from a correctly
> >> rebranded package, the right thing should happen.
> >
> > Well, here is the thing. I run sed on /etc/fedora-release, I get a
> > rebranded distro everywhere except for plymouth which already has picked
> > up the name and won't let it go. Now I did replace fedora-release with
> > my own foo-release but then I realized, I have to maintain my own
> > repository now as well inorder to not break the upgrade path. I would
> > like to avoid doing that by just not having Plymouth display that text
> > at all.
>
> Running 'sed' on distribution provided files seems like a bad way
> to go about it. What if fedora-release gets updated upstream?
>
> (That being said, you could certainly do a trigger to do the sed
> at the right point after the package gets installed.)

Don't encourage people to use triggers. That's like offering kids
heroin.

-sv

Old 01-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Bill Nottingham

Rahul Sundaram (sundaram@fedoraproject.org) said:
>> (That being said, you could certainly do a trigger to do the sed
>> at the right point after the package gets installed.)
>
> I tried that and Plymouth still displays the old text when booting up as
> a live cd and only gets the new text, post installation. If you figure
> out a way to do it, let me know. I tried a few things and never managed
> to get it right.

Then it's not in the right place.

%triggerin -- fedora-release
sed ...

In any case, this isn't a plymouth problem.

Bill