Old 12-22-2007, 05:01 AM
Matthias Clasen

Default gvfs in rawhide

Hey,

in gnome 2.22, gio and gvfs will start replacing gnome-vfs as the vfs
layer of gnome. gio is part of glib, gvfs is a standalone module. I have
now completed the builds of glib2, gvfs, eel2, nautilus and libgnomeui
that bring gio and gvfs into rawhide.

Note that a few things are not working yet, e.g. authentication for
remote filesystems, and the http/webdav backend is not there yet.

If you want to try gvfs in the file chooser,
change /desktop/gnome/interface/file_chooser_backend to "gvfs".

Happy holidays, Matthias

Old 12-22-2007, 10:09 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

On Dec 21, 2007 9:01 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@redhat.com> wrote:
> If you want to try gvfs in the file chooser,
> change /desktop/gnome/interface/file_chooser_backend to "gvfs".

Is gvfs a big enough change in terms of capabilities to make it
notable for release notes and general "new cool crap" in f9?

-jef

Old 12-22-2007, 10:20 PM
drago01

On Dec 23, 2007 12:09 AM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 21, 2007 9:01 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@redhat.com> wrote:
> > If you want to try gvfs in the file chooser,
> > change /desktop/gnome/interface/file_chooser_backend to "gvfs".
>

> Is gvfs a big enough change in terms of capabilities to make it
> notable for release notes and general "new cool crap" in f9?

yes
but its part of gnome 2.22 so it should already be in gnome's release notes

Old 12-22-2007, 10:44 PM
drago01

> If you want to try gvfs in the file chooser,
> change /desktop/gnome/interface/file_chooser_backend to "gvfs".

is this going to be enabled by default
or is it just not ready for gnome 2.22 / F9 ?

Old 12-23-2007, 12:08 AM
Matthias Clasen

On Sun, 2007-12-23 at 00:44 +0100, drago01 wrote:
> > If you want to try gvfs in the file chooser,
> > change /desktop/gnome/interface/file_chooser_backend to "gvfs".
>
> is this going to be enabled by default
> or is it just not ready for gnome 2.22 / F9 ?

I would expect it to be enabled by default.
But why don't you try it and find out by yourself if it is ready for
F9 ? If I don't hear any major screams after the holidays, I'm probably
going to turn it on for test1.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:12 AM
drago01

On Dec 23, 2007 2:08 AM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-12-23 at 00:44 +0100, drago01 wrote:
> > > If you want to try gvfs in the file chooser,
> > > change /desktop/gnome/interface/file_chooser_backend to "gvfs".
> >
> > is this going to be enabled by default
> > or is it just not ready for gnome 2.22 / F9 ?
>
> I would expect it to be enabled by default.
> But why don't you try it and find out by yourself if it is ready for
> F9 ? If I don't hear any major screams after the holidays, I'm probably
> going to turn it on for test1.

where did I say that I am not going to test it ? I just wondered
why its off by default...
I am planning to create a new rawhide install (my current one is pre
f8) and play with it in the next days.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:46 AM
"Jeff Spaleta"

On Dec 22, 2007 2:20 PM, drago01 <drago01@gmail.com> wrote:
> yes
> but its part of gnome 2.22 so it should already be in gnome's release notes

Aren't all new features in a fedora release ultimately in the
underlying component's release notes? The question is... is this
specific technology change important enough to shout about in F9 as
part of our distribution notes. Just saying we have gnome 2.22 or
repeating gnome 2.22's release notes verbatim isn't a particular good
idea. We have to cherry-pick specific technology changes to be verbose
about. Among all the changes going into the gnome stack.. is gvfs a
bean enough deal to get some print space in our fedora specific
release materials? If so, probablly needs a feature page in the wiki

-jef

Old 12-25-2007, 10:47 AM
drago01

Matthias Clasen wrote:

If you want to try gvfs in the file chooser,
change /desktop/gnome/interface/file_chooser_backend to "gvfs".

is this going to be enabled by default
or is it just not ready for gnome 2.22 / F9 ?

I would expect it to be enabled by default.
But why don't you try it and find out by yourself if it is ready for
F9 ?

Ok installed and have a question...
is ftp supposed to work? it says "invalid mount spec"
what does work to test with?
smb? ssh?

Old 12-26-2007, 10:46 AM
drago01

also computer:/// does not work ... known or should I fill it?
local file I/O seems to work fine