Old 12-11-2008, 05:39 AM
"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"

Default Screensaver cleanup

Has there been any thought cleaning up the screen savers?

Get rid of those that were made in the dark ages and arent worth a GPU
cycle on
todays modern graphic cards and defaulting to more of an eye candy to
enhance end-user(s)

experience.

JBG

Old 12-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Bastien Nocera

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 06:39 +0000, "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" wrote:
> Has there been any thought cleaning up the screen savers?
>
> Get rid of those that were made in the dark ages and arent worth a GPU
> cycle on
> todays modern graphic cards and defaulting to more of an eye candy to
> enhance end-user(s)
> experience.

Do you have anything more precise in terms of what you want to achieve?
Having a list of screensavers that shouldn't be shipped, or that we
should convert and add to gnome-screensaver would be useful.

Cheers

Old 12-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Adam Jackson

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 06:39 +0000, "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" wrote:
> Has there been any thought cleaning up the screen savers?
>
> Get rid of those that were made in the dark ages and arent worth a GPU
> cycle on
> todays modern graphic cards and defaulting to more of an eye candy to
> enhance end-user(s)
> experience.

The only ones I have in the gnome-screensaver list are: blank, random,
cosmos, fedora bubbles, gnome feet, the blue pop are squares, and the
pictures folder slideshow. Which of these are you opposed to?

Also, we've been moving more to a model where the screen just turns off,
in the name of saving power.

- ajax

Old 12-11-2008, 02:57 PM
"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"

Bastien Nocera wrote:

Has there been any thought cleaning up the screen savers?

Get rid of those that were made in the dark ages and arent worth a GPU
cycle on
todays modern graphic cards and defaulting to more of an eye candy to
enhance end-user(s)

experience.

Do you have anything more precise in terms of what you want to achieve?
Having a list of screensavers that shouldn't be shipped, or that we
should convert and add to gnome-screensaver would be useful.

Cheers

Yeah sorry about that.

The defaults are fine they are just missing some eye candy

Shall put together a list from both the X ones and the Gnome ones
which I would like to see shipped with the default.

JBG

Old 12-11-2008, 03:04 PM
"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"

Adam Jackson wrote:

Has there been any thought cleaning up the screen savers?

Get rid of those that were made in the dark ages and arent worth a GPU
cycle on
todays modern graphic cards and defaulting to more of an eye candy to
enhance end-user(s)

experience.

The only ones I have in the gnome-screensaver list are: blank, random,
cosmos, fedora bubbles, gnome feet, the blue pop are squares, and the
pictures folder slideshow. Which of these are you opposed to?

The defaults are fine they are just missing some eye candy

Also, we've been moving more to a model where the screen just turns off,
in the name of saving power.

That explains the bug I came across in anaconda when the screen went
black after

a while and I was unable to proceed with the install

So for us in the world that do have juice but dont have money :- )
( Icelanders )

How can I turn this feature off..

And this *feature* only applies to run level 5 right?

JBG

Old 12-11-2008, 03:36 PM
"Rui Tiago CašŃo Matos"

2008/12/11 "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" <johannbg@hi.is>:
>> Also, we've been moving more to a model where the screen just turns off,
>> in the name of saving power.
>>

> That explains the bug I came across in anaconda when the screen went black
> after
> a while and I was unable to proceed with the install

That's certainly a bug, the screen should turn on as soon as you move
your mouse or press a key.

More importantly, more screensavers can and probably should be added
to the gnome-screensaver list. But the default behaviour should indeed
be the one that saves the most power, thus power down the screen after
a while of inactivity.

Actually it might be a good idea to add a "Note: screen savers are
usually processor intensive and can drain your battery faster." to the
gnome-screensaver preferences when on a laptop and the user chooses
anything else than blank. Heck, maybe even make it unconditional and
show it always for the environmentally clueless.

Rui