Old 11-13-2008, 04:54 AM
Luke Macken

Default Shipping QGTKStyle with F10 ?

I think it would be a good idea to ship the qgtkstyle package with our
default GNOME desktop spin for F10. Doing so will give Qt apps a much
more native look-and-feel out of the box.

http://labs.trolltech.com/page/Projects/Styles/GtkStyle

What do you all think?

luke

Old 11-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 00:54 -0500, Luke Macken wrote:
> I think it would be a good idea to ship the qgtkstyle package with our
> default GNOME desktop spin for F10. Doing so will give Qt apps a much
> more native look-and-feel out of the box.
>
> http://labs.trolltech.com/page/Projects/Styles/GtkStyle
>
> What do you all think?

The sentiment among the GTK+ team about cross-toolkit engine approaches
to theme integration has been nicely summed up by Owen, some time ago
(http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2007-March/msg00167.html)

Really, all this Qt-theme-for-GTK+ GTK+-theme-for-Qt stuff is just a
horrendously bad idea. A vale of tears. What needs to be done is to
write a toolkit-independent theme engine system, hopefully less baroque,
strange, and broken then what we ended up for GTK+, and write themes
for that.

Maybe the latest qt-gtkstyle stuff is better, I don't know, I haven't
looked at the code.

Matthias

Old 11-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Rex Dieter

Luke Macken wrote:

> I think it would be a good idea to ship the qgtkstyle package with our
> default GNOME desktop spin for F10. Doing so will give Qt apps a much
> more native look-and-feel out of the box.

I agree with the sentiment, but does the desktop spin include qt?

Maybe instead consider adding something like this to gnome-desktop in comps:
<packagereq type="conditional" requires="qt-x11">qgtkstyle</packagereq>

-- Rex

Old 11-13-2008, 02:43 PM
"Colin Walters"

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@redhat.com> wrote:

> Really, all this Qt-theme-for-GTK+ GTK+-theme-for-Qt stuff is just a
> horrendously bad idea. A vale of tears. What needs to be done is to
> write a toolkit-independent theme engine system, hopefully less baroque,
> strange, and broken then what we ended up for GTK+, and write themes
> for that.

I guess what might make this in particular different is that it's
coming from Trolltech and that implies some willingness to support it
(the Labs moniker notwithstanding).

However the real question isn't whether the Fedora GNOME desktop
should ship qgtkstyle, it's whether the KDE spin is willing to support
it. They're the ones who will be getting the bug reports against
Amarok or whatever when run under Fedora GNOME desktop.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Rex Dieter

Colin Walters wrote:

> I guess what might make this in particular different is that it's
> coming from Trolltech and that implies some willingness to support it
> However the real question isn't whether the Fedora GNOME desktop
> should ship qgtkstyle, it's whether the KDE sig is willing to support
> it.

It's my understanding that qgtkstyle will be included in qt-4.5, so it should be a reasonably supportable option.

Once that question is out of the way, how to get this installed, especially since this pkg makes the most sense on non-kde desktops.

Brainstorming on irc a bit, the options we came up with so far:

1. use conditional comps magic,
<packagereq type="conditional" requires="qt-x11">qgtkstyle</packagereq>
somewhere.
2. add to qt-x11, Requires: qgtkstyle .
3. ???
99. profit!

-- Rex

Old 11-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Matthew Woehlke

Matthias Clasen wrote:

Really, all this Qt-theme-for-GTK+ GTK+-theme-for-Qt stuff is just a
horrendously bad idea. A vale of tears. What needs to be done is to
write a toolkit-independent theme engine system, hopefully less baroque,
strange, and broken then what we ended up for GTK+, and write themes
for that.

...something like metatheme? (http://www.metatheme.org/)

Too bad the project seems to be long dead.

--
Matthew
"Yoda of Borg am I. Futile is resistance. Assimilate you, I will."