Old 11-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Maccy

Default GNOME Applications menu question

Does anyone know how I can add another group under 'Applications' on the
top panel of the GNOME desktop?

I can easily add an item to the Applications menu by creating a .desktop
file in the /usr/share/applications directory. But I work in Astronomy and what I want to do is
create a new 'Astronomy' group containing links to the most popular
installed Astro software on one system, then distribute the relevant
config files to all my other machines.

Documentation seems scarce....

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Mark

Old 11-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 15:37 +0000, Maccy wrote:
> Does anyone know how I can add another group under 'Applications' on the
> top panel of the GNOME desktop?
>
> I can easily add an item to the Applications menu by creating a .desktop
> file in the /usr/share/applications directory. But I work in Astronomy and what I want to do is
> create a new 'Astronomy' group containing links to the most popular
> installed Astro software on one system, then distribute the relevant
> config files to all my other machines.
>
> Documentation seems scarce....

If you want to do it by file editing, you want to look at the .menu
files in /etc/xdg/menus (they are a bit confusing at first).

If you just want to edit your own menus, theres a gui for that somewhere
in the preference menus, look for "Main Menu". It lets you add new
menus.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Maccy

If you want to do it by file editing, you want to look at the .menu
files in /etc/xdg/menus (they are a bit confusing at first).

Very confusing....is there a quick and easy editing guide somewhere? I
tried copying an existing file and changing names etc. but no joy.

I would love to do it system-wide.

Mark