Old 11-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Default Trying out swfdec for Fedora 11

Hi,

In the last few weeks, I have been using swfdec in rawhide and it has
been working quite well for my limited usage. Should we include swfdec
by default in rawhide for Fedora 11 right after the Fedora 10 release?

At the very least, directing more feedback towards improving it, by
having it as default would be good regardless of whether it is mature
enough for Fedora 11 release yet. It is one of the last pieces of
proprietary software that almost everyone ends up using in Linux. Comments?

Rahul

Old 11-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Bill Nottingham

Rahul Sundaram (sundaram@fedoraproject.org) said:
> In the last few weeks, I have been using swfdec in rawhide and it has
> been working quite well for my limited usage. Should we include swfdec
> by default in rawhide for Fedora 11 right after the Fedora 10 release?

Well, we tried it before and weren't very successful. It may be worth
trying again, and just throwing every single flash site in existence
at it to see what dies.

Bill

Old 11-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Rahul Sundaram (sundaram@fedoraproject.org) said:
In the last few weeks, I have been using swfdec in rawhide and it has
been working quite well for my limited usage. Should we include swfdec
by default in rawhide for Fedora 11 right after the Fedora 10 release?

Well, we tried it before and weren't very successful. It may be worth
trying again, and just throwing every single flash site in existence
at it to see what dies.

Yes, I am aware we tried before but the situation seems substantial
improved to me, now.

Can you post the list of flash sites, we tried with before? If users
have (esp popular ) sites, that aren't working yet, that list would be
very useful as well.

Rahul

Old 11-05-2008, 05:57 PM
"Colin Walters"

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the last few weeks, I have been using swfdec in rawhide and it has been
> working quite well for my limited usage. Should we include swfdec by default
> in rawhide for Fedora 11 right after the Fedora 10 release?
>
> At the very least, directing more feedback towards improving it, by having
> it as default would be good regardless of whether it is mature enough for
> Fedora 11 release yet. It is one of the last pieces of proprietary software
> that almost everyone ends up using in Linux. Comments?

My main concern with this is how it affects the installation
experience of the proprietary plugin. Right now Swfdec claims the
same plugin name, if you have them both installed I think it basically
just breaks. Needs investigation anyways.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Dave Jones

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 12:26:27AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Rahul Sundaram (sundaram@fedoraproject.org) said:
> >> In the last few weeks, I have been using swfdec in rawhide and it has
> >> been working quite well for my limited usage. Should we include swfdec
> >> by default in rawhide for Fedora 11 right after the Fedora 10 release?
> >
> > Well, we tried it before and weren't very successful. It may be worth
> > trying again, and just throwing every single flash site in existence
> > at it to see what dies.
>
> Yes, I am aware we tried before but the situation seems substantial
> improved to me, now.
>
> Can you post the list of flash sites, we tried with before? If users
> have (esp popular ) sites, that aren't working yet, that list would be
> very useful as well.

I made a post a few days ago that mentioned that other than youtube,
I haven't found many sites that work at all.

Since then, I was actually pleasantly surprised that the CNN
election map widget worked last night, so it's not complete loss.
Sites that use flash as UI widgets seem to mostly work these days.

Where it seems to still really fall over though are sites that
stream media (be that video, audio or both). For some reason
the code that was implemented for making youtube work isn't universal
enough that other sites 'just work'. Maybe it just needs some
small tweaks.
Off the top of my head, sites I found that don't work -

vimeo.com
ovi.com
myspace.com
ustream.tv (spectacular fail!)
justin.tv (more awesome fail!)
cnn.com (any of the video news stories)
news.bbc.co.uk (same)
finance.google.com (click the graph)

There's probably a bunch of others that I tried that failed, but
I'd have to go power up my mac to dig out the bookmarks to find the rest.

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk

Old 11-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Mike Chambers

> Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Rahul Sundaram (sundaram@fedoraproject.org) said:
> >> In the last few weeks, I have been using swfdec in rawhide and it has
> >> been working quite well for my limited usage. Should we include swfdec
> >> by default in rawhide for Fedora 11 right after the Fedora 10 release?
> >
> > Well, we tried it before and weren't very successful. It may be worth
> > trying again, and just throwing every single flash site in existence
> > at it to see what dies.
>
> Yes, I am aware we tried before but the situation seems substantial
> improved to me, now.
>
> Can you post the list of flash sites, we tried with before? If users
> have (esp popular ) sites, that aren't working yet, that list would be
> very useful as well.

Here are a few that I visit that are very popular, or you would think,
that it doesn't work for..

http://espn.go.com/
http://www.cnn.com/ (at least their videos anyway)
http://www.dallascowboys.com (maybe not as popular, don't know but at
least are in sports land)

Just to name a few...

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302@fedoraproject.org

Old 11-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Bill Nottingham

Rahul Sundaram (sundaram@fedoraproject.org) said:
> Yes, I am aware we tried before but the situation seems substantial
> improved to me, now.
>
> Can you post the list of flash sites, we tried with before? If users
> have (esp popular ) sites, that aren't working yet, that list would be
> very useful as well.

There was a test matrix for F9 on the wiki, and bugs filed in bugzilla.

Bill