FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Desktop

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Axel Thimm
 
Default Repositioning the gdm greeter window

Hi,

I've been less than successful in moving the greeter window, and I've
tried a lot. I already spend half a day with changing the background


It looks like I need some gtk+ themeing magic to do that, could
someone please help out? Thanks!
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
--
Fedora-desktop-list mailing list
Fedora-desktop-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-desktop-list
 
Old 10-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Matthias Clasen
 
Default Repositioning the gdm greeter window

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 22:03 +0300, Axel Thimm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been less than successful in moving the greeter window, and I've
> tried a lot. I already spend half a day with changing the background
>
>
> It looks like I need some gtk+ themeing magic to do that, could
> someone please help out? Thanks!

No, theming has no say on window positions. The question is kinda hard
to answer without knowing how far you are willing to go...

It is certainly possible to patch gdm to make the window appear
somewhere else. As things currently stand, the greeter insists on
centering it.

You can use Alt+Left to move the window around at runtime (using the
standard metacity shortcut), but thats not very persistent.

It is also possible to replace metacity with a different wm in the login
session, that lets you override window positions.



--
Fedora-desktop-list mailing list
Fedora-desktop-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-desktop-list
 
Old 10-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Axel Thimm
 
Default Repositioning the gdm greeter window

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 05:45:35PM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 22:03 +0300, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been less than successful in moving the greeter window, and I've
> > tried a lot. I already spend half a day with changing the background
> >
> >
> > It looks like I need some gtk+ themeing magic to do that, could
> > someone please help out? Thanks!
>
> No, theming has no say on window positions. The question is kinda hard
> to answer without knowing how far you are willing to go...
>
> It is certainly possible to patch gdm to make the window appear
> somewhere else. As things currently stand, the greeter insists on
> centering it.
>
> You can use Alt+Left to move the window around at runtime (using the
> standard metacity shortcut), but thats not very persistent.
>
> It is also possible to replace metacity with a different wm in the login
> session, that lets you override window positions.

gdm seems to support compiz instead of metacity. Would that give an
configuration option for the position?

I don't want to patch gdm, I was hoping it would be configurable like
in past days. How do all these million themes manage to reposition it?
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
--
Fedora-desktop-list mailing list
Fedora-desktop-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-desktop-list
 
Old 10-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Matthias Clasen
 
Default Repositioning the gdm greeter window

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 01:15 +0300, Axel Thimm wrote:

> gdm seems to support compiz instead of metacity. Would that give an
> configuration option for the position?

I don't think so.

> I don't want to patch gdm, I was hoping it would be configurable like
> in past days. How do all these million themes manage to reposition it?

Lets start over...why do you feel that you need to reposition the window
in the first place ?

--
Fedora-desktop-list mailing list
Fedora-desktop-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-desktop-list
 
Old 10-20-2008, 03:30 AM
Axel Thimm
 
Default Repositioning the gdm greeter window

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 06:21:49PM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 01:15 +0300, Axel Thimm wrote:
>
> > gdm seems to support compiz instead of metacity. Would that give an
> > configuration option for the position?
>
> I don't think so.



> > I don't want to patch gdm, I was hoping it would be configurable like
> > in past days. How do all these million themes manage to reposition it?
>
> Lets start over...why do you feel that you need to reposition the window
> in the first place ?

Because I managed to replace the background with a picture of a
building carrying the words "entrace" in greek and german, but now the
words (e.g. the feature of the picture) are being hidden by the greeter.

Thanks!
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
--
Fedora-desktop-list mailing list
Fedora-desktop-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-desktop-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:13 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org