Old 10-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Axel Thimm

Default (globally) customizing the (gnome) desktop

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 02:18:05PM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 23:46 +0300, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > I hope I can somehow control this by some magic under /etc/gconf. I
> > understand that there is a way to mark some gconf entries as default
> > values that the user can still override. But the problem would be what
> > values these are. Could someone show me the direction? Thanks!
>
> Wouldn't this be a job for Sabayon? http://live.gnome.org/Sabayon

Very nice tool! Thanks for the direction!

I'd love to see it change values under

/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory/
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/

instead of touching the users' folders, but maybe I can just pick the
settings targetted for the homes and meddle them into /etc.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

Old 10-09-2008, 02:35 PM
David Zeuthen

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 01:47 +0300, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 02:18:05PM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 23:46 +0300, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > > I hope I can somehow control this by some magic under /etc/gconf. I
> > > understand that there is a way to mark some gconf entries as default
> > > values that the user can still override. But the problem would be what
> > > values these are. Could someone show me the direction? Thanks!
> >
> > Wouldn't this be a job for Sabayon? http://live.gnome.org/Sabayon
>
> Very nice tool! Thanks for the direction!
>
> I'd love to see it change values under
>
> /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory/
> /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/
>
> instead of touching the users' folders, but maybe I can just pick the
> settings targetted for the homes and meddle them into /etc.

Be careful not to overwrite files provided by packages; for Fedora 9 (or
maybe Fedora 8), I believe we added another couple of layers such that
the system administrator can specify defaults / mandatory stuff without
conflicting with files from packages. See /etc/gconf/2/path for details.

It's entirely possible that our Sabayon packages needs to be aware of
this change, I don't know.

David