Old 10-08-2008, 06:41 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Default About Fedora

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

Hi,

The "About Fedora" menu item in the GNOME panel seems to be hard coded.
This is a problem for derivative distributions (including future
revisions of RHEL). It would be great it was tied to fedora-logos so
that it can be replaced/ rebranded easily. Thoughts?

Followup:

Replacing fedora-logos and fedora-release with the generic equivalents
removes the menu item. However what I would like instead is for it say
"About <foo>" instead.

Rahul

Old 10-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Steven Garrity

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
The "About Fedora" menu item in the GNOME panel seems to be hard coded.
This is a problem for derivative distributions (including future
revisions of RHEL). It would be great it was tied to fedora-logos so
that it can be replaced/ rebranded easily. Thoughts?

This probably doesn't help with your particular issue here, but I've
long thought that the About Fedora and About GNOME items should be
merged into a new window that promotes both GNOME and the distribution.

One fewer menu item can't hurt. It could also possibly be incorporated
into the About this Computer item.

Steven Garrity

Old 10-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Jeroen van Meeuwen

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

Hi,

The "About Fedora" menu item in the GNOME panel seems to be hard coded.
This is a problem for derivative distributions (including future
revisions of RHEL). It would be great it was tied to fedora-logos so
that it can be replaced/ rebranded easily. Thoughts?

The About Fedora menu item comes from fedora-release-notes, not fedora-logos

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip

Old 10-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 10:57 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The "About Fedora" menu item in the GNOME panel seems to be hard coded.
> > This is a problem for derivative distributions (including future
> > revisions of RHEL). It would be great it was tied to fedora-logos so
> > that it can be replaced/ rebranded easily. Thoughts?
> >

> The About Fedora menu item comes from fedora-release-notes, not fedora-logos

One problem with "About Fedora" that I noticed recently is that we show
the menuitem, even if yelp is not installed, e.g. on the live cd. We
should fix that.