Old 10-08-2008, 12:26 AM
Jesse Keating

Default Nightly attempts of live image creation

I'm working on some scripting that will attempt to make the Live images
each night, and show some output. Here is a first stab at what and
where one could find the output:

http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/development-live/Live/i686/

I'm no good with html, so when it comes time to script this up, I'll be
looking for some help to make this page a bit more useful, and also I'm
looking for input on what you'd like to see on these pages.

as an aside, we've got a snapshot due this Thursday/Friday and we're
still oversize. The durastic space saving changes (package removals)
were only done on the beta branch because we were hoping to fix things
with better deps/builds for later. Please see the above for what kind
of shape we're in.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!

Old 10-08-2008, 03:45 AM
Matthias Clasen

> I'm working on some scripting that will attempt to make the Live images
> each night, and show some output. Here is a first stab at what and
> where one could find the output:
>
> http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/development-live/Live/i686/
>
> I'm no good with html, so when it comes time to script this up, I'll be
> looking for some help to make this page a bit more useful, and also I'm
> looking for input on what you'd like to see on these pages.
>
> as an aside, we've got a snapshot due this Thursday/Friday and we're
> still oversize. The durastic space saving changes (package removals)
> were only done on the beta branch because we were hoping to fix things
> with better deps/builds for later. Please see the above for what kind
> of shape we're in.

Frustrating. Again a lot of low-percentage growth, but what is really
killing us is the new packages that keep getting pulled in:

new package OpenEXR-libs: 823896
new package libv4l: 170205
new package gegl: 2161070
new package sane-backends-libs: 6404932
new package gnome-games: 18683521
new package babl: 341948
new package sgml-common: 135667
new package python-setuptools: 988965
new package pygtkglext: 368259
new package hplip-libs: 312821
new package sane-backends: 4246863
new package net-snmp-libs: 4707665
new package WebKit-gtk: 12024292
new package ilmbase: 408114
new package freeglut: 428017
new package lzma: 207155
new package PackageKit-udev-helper: 113030
new package PyOpenGL: 5647635
new package libsane-hpaio: 77784
new package iwl5000-firmware: 352062
new package guile: 3473157
new package libggz: 348426
new package PackageKit-gstreamer-plugin: 123694
new package PackageKit-yum-plugin: 114822
new package gnome-session-xsession: 4701
new package gnome-python2-gnomeprint: 443188
new package plymouth-plugin-solar: 512770
new package SDL: 502851
new package libbeagle: 99087
new package evolution-perl: 7823
new package docbook-dtds: 4568267
new package gnuchess: 3959589
new package lohit-fonts-marathi: 97286
new package lm_sensors: 500370
new package gnome-doc-utils-stylesheets: 1090771
new package libicu: 17202512
new package lzma-libs: 92737
new package gtkglext-libs: 484178
new package libieee1284: 69512
new package ggz-client-libs: 614106
new package yelp: 3333760

I assume a good chunk of these is because we need to reinstate the removal of gnome-games and yelp, but there
some which are not explainable that way. E.g the new gimp now pulls in WebKit-gtk.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:53 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Jesse Keating wrote:

I'm working on some scripting that will attempt to make the Live images
each night, and show some output. Here is a first stab at what and
where one could find the output:

http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/development-live/Live/i686/

Where are the scripts? Are they posted anywhere publicly?

Rahul

Old 10-08-2008, 05:28 AM
Jesse Keating

> Where are the scripts? Are they posted anywhere publicly?

There are none, because they haven't been written yet. This is the
result of doing some things by hand, to get a feel for what the script
needs to have in it, and what kind of output we want.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:44 AM
Martin Sourada

> I assume a good chunk of these is because we need to reinstate the removal of gnome-games and yelp, but there
> some which are not explainable that way. E.g the new gimp now pulls in WebKit-gtk.

I'd say it's rather unfortunate that the switch from xulrunner to webkit
is not synchronised in upstream gnome projects, e.g. epiphany stayed for
one another release with xulrunner as its default backend (because of
still lacking features in webkit) and now I see, gimp already
switched :-/ For future it's probably better, because we will be able to
drop xulrunner and firefox in favour of smaller, but feature comparable
(when webkit-gtk implements some missing functionality), epiphany and
webkit-gtk, but the transition state will be pretty hard, since we'll
need both during that time...

Martin

Old 10-08-2008, 07:25 AM
Nicu Buculei

Martin Sourada wrote:

I'd say it's rather unfortunate that the switch from xulrunner to webkit
is not synchronised in upstream gnome projects, e.g. epiphany stayed for

Hate to bring this, but Gimp is not a GNOME project.

one another release with xulrunner as its default backend (because of
still lacking features in webkit) and now I see, gimp already
switched :-/ For future it's probably better, because we will be able to
drop xulrunner and firefox in favour of smaller, but feature comparable
(when webkit-gtk implements some missing functionality), epiphany and
webkit-gtk, but the transition state will be pretty hard, since we'll
need both during that time...

From my understanding, for the foreseeable future Firefox will remain
the default browser in Fedora even if we also get a WebKit powered
Epiphany (pretty much for the same reason we have not used a Gecko
powered Epiphany as default - brand recognition).

Old 10-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Richard Hughes

> I'm working on some scripting that will attempt to make the Live
> images each night, and show some output. Here is a first stab at what
> and where one could find the output:

Cool, good work. Would it be possible to actually run the images and see
if if they boot? All it would need is starting the image in qemu and
then getting the image to ping/send a file/ssh the host, and then we can
kill the image. Potentially we could run this script nightly on a while
load of different architectures.

If you post the scripts, I'll see what I can do.

Richard.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Richard Hughes

> new package PackageKit-udev-helper: 113030

Needed for the auto firmware install thing.

> new package PackageKit-gstreamer-plugin: 123694

Needed for the auto codec install thing.

> new package PackageKit-yum-plugin: 114822

The new name of yum-packagekit, needed so PackageKit can use yum as a
backend, and removable as SMART can be used instead.

Richard.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Nils Philippsen

> On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 17:26 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > I'm working on some scripting that will attempt to make the Live images
> > each night, and show some output. Here is a first stab at what and
> > where one could find the output:
> >
> > http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/development-live/Live/i686/
> >
> > I'm no good with html, so when it comes time to script this up, I'll be
> > looking for some help to make this page a bit more useful, and also I'm
> > looking for input on what you'd like to see on these pages.
> >
> > as an aside, we've got a snapshot due this Thursday/Friday and we're
> > still oversize. The durastic space saving changes (package removals)
> > were only done on the beta branch because we were hoping to fix things
> > with better deps/builds for later. Please see the above for what kind
> > of shape we're in.
> >

> Frustrating. Again a lot of low-percentage growth, but what is really
> killing us is the new packages that keep getting pulled in:
>
> new package OpenEXR-libs: 823896
> new package libv4l: 170205
> new package gegl: 2161070
> new package sane-backends-libs: 6404932
> new package gnome-games: 18683521
> new package babl: 341948
> new package sgml-common: 135667
> new package python-setuptools: 988965
> new package pygtkglext: 368259
> new package hplip-libs: 312821
> new package sane-backends: 4246863
> new package net-snmp-libs: 4707665
> new package WebKit-gtk: 12024292
> new package ilmbase: 408114
> new package freeglut: 428017
> new package lzma: 207155
> new package PackageKit-udev-helper: 113030
> new package PyOpenGL: 5647635
> new package libsane-hpaio: 77784
> new package iwl5000-firmware: 352062
> new package guile: 3473157
> new package libggz: 348426
> new package PackageKit-gstreamer-plugin: 123694
> new package PackageKit-yum-plugin: 114822
> new package gnome-session-xsession: 4701
> new package gnome-python2-gnomeprint: 443188
> new package plymouth-plugin-solar: 512770
> new package SDL: 502851
> new package libbeagle: 99087
> new package evolution-perl: 7823
> new package docbook-dtds: 4568267
> new package gnuchess: 3959589
> new package lohit-fonts-marathi: 97286
> new package lm_sensors: 500370
> new package gnome-doc-utils-stylesheets: 1090771
> new package libicu: 17202512
> new package lzma-libs: 92737
> new package gtkglext-libs: 484178
> new package libieee1284: 69512
> new package ggz-client-libs: 614106
> new package yelp: 3333760
>
> I assume a good chunk of these is because we need to reinstate the removal of gnome-games and yelp, but there
> some which are not explainable that way. E.g the new gimp now pulls in WebKit-gtk.

I can deactivate the internal help browser in GIMP, it currently has
stability issues anyway. Then it should use the external default browser
for displaying help (I don't know if we ship gimp-help in the live media
at all). Alternatively, I can split off the internal help browser so we
can leave that out on live media -- it should be installed on normal
installations though because (once it's not crashing) it's much faster
at startup than say firefox.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty

Old 10-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Nils Philippsen

On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 10:25 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:

> Hate to bring this, but Gimp is not a GNOME project.

http://www.gnome.org/projects/ seems to suggest the opposite... ;-)

Nils