Old 09-23-2008, 04:53 PM
seth vidal

Default i686 (and likely x86_64) Live image not fitting on CD

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 12:47 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> 2008/9/22 Brian Pepple <bpepple@fedoraproject.org>:
> >
> > If empathy didn't have a hard requires on some of it's plugins, like
> > telepathy-haze (which pulls in libpurple) that would drop 20MB or more.
> > IMO, the only hard-requires for empathy should probably be
> > telepathy-gabble (XMMP) & telepathy-salut (local-link XMMP), the rest we
> > should give a hard look at what we want to use a default in comps to
> > reduce some of the bloat.
>
> That would make it basically only useful for GTalk users which has
> significant market share only in North America and parts of the Middle
> East[1].

s/GTalk/all jabber users/

and since we're all about open protocols anyway. And since xmpp is the
most widely accepted open IM protocol (in fact it might be the only one
that's actually open)....

-sv

Old 09-23-2008, 05:40 PM
"Colin Walters"

2008/9/23 Adam Jackson <ajax@redhat.com>:

> Not that it's much by way of disk size, but it looks like a lot of the X
> libs got measurably bigger for no particularly good reason. libXrandr,
> for example, got almost 40% bigger purely because the ChangeLog in
> %doc got three times bigger.
>
> Do we care that much about including these? I can't see that they're
> worth much even on a real system.

Agree. One possibility if there is resistance to simply dropping them
is to move them into the -devel packages.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Jesse Keating

> I'm less concerned about x86_64 for Beta, but i686 not fitting on a CD
> is a stop ship. We're 43~megs over size. That's not a small amount.
> This may have been brought up before, but I don't see archives of it so
> it may have been IRC only.
>
> http://jkeating.fedorapeople.org/alpha2beta-live-diff has a listing of
> the package differences between Alpha and Beta. I would really
> appreciate some help looking for something to cut for size, since you
> guys are supposed to own this config now.
>
> http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=spin-kickstarts.git;a=blob;f=fedora-live-base.ks;h=55f57cf0a7ebf60326c5eabf968b0d4b2dfd4975 ;hb=refs/heads/F-10-Beta
>
> http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=spin-kickstarts.git;a=blob;f=fedora-livecd-desktop.ks;h=371ad17a34667b60fe0fab63a3e9876245c7d a9e;hb=refs/heads/F-10-Beta
>
> and
>
> http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=spin-kickstarts.git;a=blob;f=fedora-livecd-desktop-default.ks;h=e7a91937f1eb87df3d5197f6ea6cf2918ca98 6fb;hb=refs/heads/F-10-Beta
>
> are the configs used.

Some progress. We're down to 23megs or so over. mclasen had a few
things to suggest and I did a test compose with it. New diff and other
info in the releng ticket

https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/824

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!

Old 09-23-2008, 07:11 PM
"Colin Walters"

2008/9/23 Jesse Keating <jkeating@redhat.com>:

> Some progress. We're down to 23megs or so over. mclasen had a few
> things to suggest and I did a test compose with it. New diff and other
> info in the releng ticket
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/824

Speaking of releng tickets, any thoughts on moving
https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/764 forward? I hope with that
we can both avoid last-minute surprises like this and make how the
images are produced more transparent and consistent.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Jesse Keating

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 15:11 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> Speaking of releng tickets, any thoughts on moving
> https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/764 forward? I hope with that
> we can both avoid last-minute surprises like this and make how the
> images are produced more transparent and consistent.

There has been some progress, we have some resources to use now, and
some space to put things. Getting it automated is going to be looked at
after beta.

That said, making a Live image is dirt simple. It requires a rawhide
system, and some disk space. That's it. Given that the desktop team
owns the config for this (so I'm told) it would interest your team in at
least doing some manually or requesting some done manually as we near
deadlines (before rather than after..) (:

Old 09-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Adam Jackson

> Some progress. We're down to 23megs or so over. mclasen had a few
> things to suggest and I did a test compose with it. New diff and other
> info in the releng ticket
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/824

I don't see a diff here?

- ajax

Old 09-23-2008, 07:32 PM
"Colin Walters"

2008/9/23 Jesse Keating <jkeating@redhat.com>:
> On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 15:11 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
>> Speaking of releng tickets, any thoughts on moving
>> https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/764 forward? I hope with that
>> we can both avoid last-minute surprises like this and make how the
>> images are produced more transparent and consistent.
>
> There has been some progress, we have some resources to use now, and
> some space to put things. Getting it automated is going to be looked at
> after beta.
>
> That said, making a Live image is dirt simple. It requires a rawhide
> system, and some disk space. That's it. Given that the desktop team
> owns the config for this (so I'm told) it would interest your team in at
> least doing some manually or requesting some done manually as we near
> deadlines (before rather than after..) (:

I had spent a bit of time on it a few weeks ago which resulted in the
gnome-games-help split and a few other bits but - I agree; we dropped
(or at least weren't watching) the ball on this lately.

I do think going forward the right way to approach this is going to be
systemic changes like changelog/%doc and even longer term localized
distribution rather than cutting functionality. But I'll take another
look today to see whether there are some localized changes that can be
made.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Jesse Keating

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 15:30 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 12:06 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
> > Some progress. We're down to 23megs or so over. mclasen had a few
> > things to suggest and I did a test compose with it. New diff and other
> > info in the releng ticket
> >
> > https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/824
>
> I don't see a diff here?

Oops, I hit preview instead of commit. Reload please.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Jesse Keating wrote:

Speaking of releng tickets, any thoughts on moving
https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/764 forward? I hope with that
we can both avoid last-minute surprises like this and make how the
images are produced more transparent and consistent.

There has been some progress, we have some resources to use now, and
some space to put things. Getting it automated is going to be looked at
after beta.

That said, making a Live image is dirt simple. It requires a rawhide
system, and some disk space. That's it. Given that the desktop team
owns the config for this (so I'm told) it would interest your team in at
least doing some manually or requesting some done manually as we near
deadlines (before rather than after..) (:

Since I am playing around with spinning images all the time, I can help
with this. If desktop team thinks my participation would be useful, let
me know.

Rahul

Old 09-23-2008, 09:31 PM
"Colin Walters"

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Since I am playing around with spinning images all the time, I can help with
> this. If desktop team thinks my participation would be useful, let me know.

Definitely - any help is appreciated.