Old 08-06-2008, 11:27 PM
"Colin Walters"

Default GNOME 2.24 feature

Hi, just made a Feature page for GNOME 2.24:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GNOME2_24

There are various tasks here, the main change not executed on yet is
Empathy, which I've been investigating this week. If you see anything
else that needs to be added to that page, please do it.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Matthias Clasen

> Hi, just made a Feature page for GNOME 2.24:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GNOME2_24
>
> There are various tasks here, the main change not executed on yet is
> Empathy, which I've been investigating this week. If you see anything
> else that needs to be added to that page, please do it.

Good idea. I've made some edits to the page. One thing to consider is
that empathy requires the whole telepathy stack, which may cause some
size issues on the live image. On the other hande, libpurple is huge
too, and loosing that may well make up for telepathy.

It is worth pointing out that you need to install telepathy-idle to
get IRC support in empathy.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:28 AM
Peter Gordon

> Good idea. I've made some edits to the page. One thing to consider is
> that empathy requires the whole telepathy stack, which may cause some
> size issues on the live image. [...]

On my F9/x86_64 install, after doing a 'yum install telepathy*
empathy*', the whole of Empathy and the Telepathy stack take up just
under 9 MB [1]. Is there really that tight of a squeeze on the CD? :O

> On the other hande, libpurple is huge
> too, and loosing that may well make up for telepathy.

Prior to AOL's transition to XMPP instead of their proprietary IM
protocol, libpurple (with Haze) was the only way to get AIM/ICQ support
for Telepathy, and even now tends to have better MSN support than
Butterfly (or so I've been told). I've so far been unable to get
AIM-over-XMPP working - though I've not tried too hard, admittedly.
Thus, using Empathy would effectively make it the "UI" for libpurple
instead of Pidgin.

> It is worth pointing out that you need to install telepathy-idle to
> get IRC support in empathy.

I've a small list of various packages/connection managers and what
protocols they support in Empathy's documentation (also in Fedora's
CVS), named "README.ConnectionManagers"; so please feel free to modify
that as needed.

[1] There's probably a more elegant way, but:
$ yum info telepathy* empathy*
--
´╗┐Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479

Old 08-07-2008, 01:42 AM
Jeremy Katz

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 18:28 -0700, Peter Gordon wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 19:52 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > Good idea. I've made some edits to the page. One thing to consider is
> > that empathy requires the whole telepathy stack, which may cause some
> > size issues on the live image. [...]
>
> On my F9/x86_64 install, after doing a 'yum install telepathy*
> empathy*', the whole of Empathy and the Telepathy stack take up just
> under 9 MB [1]. Is there really that tight of a squeeze on the CD? :O

Yes. The live images are constantly hitting up against the limit of the
size of a CD. And as long as we're doing "CD", that will be the case.
Because as soon as a size gap opens up (due to something shrinking or
removing something, etc), something immediately comes in to fill it.

Jeremy

Old 08-07-2008, 02:22 AM
David Zeuthen

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 21:42 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> Yes. The live images are constantly hitting up against the limit of the
> size of a CD. And as long as we're doing "CD", that will be the case.
> Because as soon as a size gap opens up (due to something shrinking or
> removing something, etc), something immediately comes in to fill it.

Can't we switch to DVD's already? Would also mean we could include
OpenOffice etc. thus making the delta to the legacy install media close
to nil.

David

Old 08-07-2008, 02:42 AM
Dan Williams

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 22:22 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 21:42 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > Yes. The live images are constantly hitting up against the limit of the
> > size of a CD. And as long as we're doing "CD", that will be the case.
> > Because as soon as a size gap opens up (due to something shrinking or
> > removing something, etc), something immediately comes in to fill it.
>
> Can't we switch to DVD's already? Would also mean we could include
> OpenOffice etc. thus making the delta to the legacy install media close
> to nil.

I don't think enough machines have built-in DVD just yet...

Dan

Old 08-07-2008, 02:46 AM
David Zeuthen

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 22:42 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> I don't think enough machines have built-in DVD just yet...

[Citation Needed]

(of course, now some smartass will now point out you started your
sentence with "I think" - meaning no citation is needed etc. etc.)

David

Old 08-07-2008, 02:50 AM
Jeremy Katz

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 22:22 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 21:42 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > Yes. The live images are constantly hitting up against the limit of the
> > size of a CD. And as long as we're doing "CD", that will be the case.
> > Because as soon as a size gap opens up (due to something shrinking or
> > removing something, etc), something immediately comes in to fill it.
>
> Can't we switch to DVD's already? Would also mean we could include
> OpenOffice etc. thus making the delta to the legacy install media close
> to nil.

Hey, I've been pushing for it for years :-)

But the last time I tried, the pushback was very strong from parts of
the world such as India and South America. Where they had citations
about lack of availability of media and burners, etc. And as we try to
push the (desktop) live image as the "best" method of getting Fedora,
taking those concerns into account seems pretty valid to me.

Jeremy

Old 08-07-2008, 02:52 AM
Dan Williams

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 22:46 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 22:42 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> > I don't think enough machines have built-in DVD just yet...
>
> [Citation Needed]
>
> (of course, now some smartass will now point out you started your
> sentence with "I think" - meaning no citation is needed etc. etc.)

Depends on how far back you want to look. If you're looking 2 or 3
years back, I think there's still too many machines with CD or CD/RW
only. Could be wrong though. Maybe we can target F11 as the first
distro that does live DVD?

Better yet, lets go through a slimming binge on the projects we are
upstream for and start building with -Os

Dan

Old 08-07-2008, 03:26 AM
"Colin Walters"

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 10:50 PM, Jeremy Katz <katzj@redhat.com> wrote:

> But the last time I tried, the pushback was very strong from parts of
> the world such as India and South America. Where they had citations
> about lack of availability of media and burners, etc. And as we try to
> push the (desktop) live image as the "best" method of getting Fedora,
> taking those concerns into account seems pretty valid to me.

*cough* region-localized images *cough*