Old 08-07-2008, 03:35 AM
Jeremy Katz

Default GNOME 2.24 feature

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 23:26 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 10:50 PM, Jeremy Katz <katzj@redhat.com> wrote:
> > But the last time I tried, the pushback was very strong from parts of
> > the world such as India and South America. Where they had citations
> > about lack of availability of media and burners, etc. And as we try to
> > push the (desktop) live image as the "best" method of getting Fedora,
> > taking those concerns into account seems pretty valid to me.
>
> *cough* region-localized images *cough*

So now rather than having one set of images which we build, test,
mass-produce and send around the world, we have to maintain N. Which
adds whole new logistics problems. Not to mention infrastructure/mirror
space, lowered torrent efficiency, and other things of that nature.

So it basically ends up trading off one set of problems for another,
different one.

Jeremy

Old 08-07-2008, 03:41 AM
Matthias Clasen

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 23:35 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 23:26 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 10:50 PM, Jeremy Katz <katzj@redhat.com> wrote:
> > > But the last time I tried, the pushback was very strong from parts of
> > > the world such as India and South America. Where they had citations
> > > about lack of availability of media and burners, etc. And as we try to
> > > push the (desktop) live image as the "best" method of getting Fedora,
> > > taking those concerns into account seems pretty valid to me.
> >
> > *cough* region-localized images *cough*
>
> So now rather than having one set of images which we build, test,
> mass-produce and send around the world, we have to maintain N. Which
> adds whole new logistics problems. Not to mention infrastructure/mirror
> space, lowered torrent efficiency, and other things of that nature.
>
> So it basically ends up trading off one set of problems for another,
> different one.

It may still be worthwhile to reevaluate the tradeoffs every once in a
while.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:11 AM
"Fayyaz Ali"

To me it will be better to have a Live CD not DVD, i agree that not most of the machines comes with DVD.