Old 12-03-2007, 11:31 PM
"Ivan Quirino"

Default fedora 9 kernel

this is not a question for the fedora usability project

On Dec 3, 2007 9:26 PM, a3ukasz Peb3szynski <detonated@o2.pl> wrote:

Hi!

I wonder why fedora kernel's stack is 4 kb.
8kb stack works as good as 4kb and there's ability to install ndiswrapper straight from livna-repo.
(atheros drivers crash on 4 kb stack)
Maybe there should be 8kb stack in fedora 9 kernel ?

Greetings
Lukasz

Old 12-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Dan Williams

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 01:26 +0100, a3ukasz Peb3szynski wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I wonder why fedora kernel's stack is 4 kb.
> 8kb stack works as good as 4kb and there's ability to install ndiswrapper straight from livna-repo.
> (atheros drivers crash on 4 kb stack)
> Maybe there should be 8kb stack in fedora 9 kernel ?

Better to redirect this question to fedora-devel. But the short answer
is that 4k stacks are quite beneficial for many other reasons (see
http://lwn.net/Articles/150580/ ). If you just need to use your Atheros
card, there are open drivers that work with 4k stacks, like madwifi and
ath5k. I'd suggest trying one of those out.

Dan

Old 12-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Christopher Aillon

I wonder why fedora kernel's stack is 4 kb.
8kb stack works as good as 4kb and there's ability to install ndiswrapper straight from livna-repo.
(atheros drivers crash on 4 kb stack)
Maybe there should be 8kb stack in fedora 9 kernel ?

Better to redirect this question to fedora-devel.

Or to
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-kernel-list

Old 12-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Matej Cepl

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 01:26:23 +0100, Lukasz Peb3szynski
scripst:
> I wonder why fedora kernel's stack is 4 kb. 8kb stack works as good as
> 4kb and there's ability to install ndiswrapper straight from livna-repo.
> (atheros drivers crash on 4 kb stack) Maybe there should be 8kb stack in
> fedora 9 kernel ?

Most likely not -- I was asking this couple of times and after wonderful
enlighting discussion with Jakub Jelinek about this, it was pretty clear
to me a) it will never happen, b) most of the problems ndiswrapper/
madwifi/et al. have should be solvable even with 4k stack. Just somebody
needs to know how (and I am certainly not the one, in case you would like
to ask me).

Matěj

--
The content of this message is licensed under a Creative Commons
Attribution 3.0 License, Some Rights Reserved.